PROLOGUE: SECOND BEST

January 28th, 1989

"Finney, you need to start focussing more, get these notes down or you'll have to stay in at lunch" Cathy, my teacher aide, was pestering me about slacking off during class. She walked off, shaking her head in disapproval.

Kurt was carving his initials into the table, which was already packed to the brim with graffiti.

"Did you get any of those notes down? That teacher is going to stare a hole in my head if I don't do this" I pestered Kurt, but he just shrugged

"It's science. Do you think I care about this shit?" He grumbled and passed me his book.

I shot him a smile "I can't wait until this class is over, you're still coming over after school right?"

"Shh, this is prime studying time! Finney I expect better" My teacher scolded me and I shot her a smug look as she turned around.

I put my head down and buckled down, but in the corner of my eye, I could see Kurt tearing some paper and writing on it. He nudged my leg underneath the table and passed it to me. His handwriting was quite messy, but I could just make out the words.

"Of course I am you cock sucker :)"

"Can you focus, Finney? I'm trying to tell you something here" Kurt nudged me out of my daze.

What was he saying again?

"I'm finished writing most of the songs on the album, are you sure you're okay with filling in as guitarist? It's not permanent or anything, but I can't find anyone willing to help out."

Oh, yes. Band stuff. Honestly, I wasn't really keen on playing. I've never really been in the music scene, my parents always made me take lessons to have some skills, but Kurt has done lot's of things for me in the past, so I felt the need to repay him.

"Yea it's fine," I answer, fiddling with the loose thread on my sweater sleeve. "Has Krist gotten his shit together though? He told me he was still saving for a new bass because he threw his last one out of a window?"

Kurt looked at me like I was an idiot.

"He said he was borrowing one from a friend, or something. I really don't care as long as he can play" He was fidgeting like there was no tomorrow, and he looked as if he was going to fall on his knees and cry. "Do you think this will work out?"

"Seriously, you'll be fine, you have a real talent for music and you can stay with me as long as you want, when, I mean, if this fails" I say trying to ease him, it probably didn't work as well as I wanted it to.

"Yea yea whatever. I'm off to bed, do you mind waking me up tomorrow before noon? I'm going out with Tracy for a bit. She wants to make up."

I sighed, all this trouble just to be pushed to the side, a second option. I nodded slightly and followed him with my eyes as he left the room. I sighed once he was out of earshot. He was such a pain sometimes, but I guess everyone could be like that.

He only stays with me while he's fighting with Tracy.

I dived into my bed and closed my eyes, praying that I'd wake up in an alternate universe where Kurt was actually a decent person around me.

"Fionnuala! A C minus in science? Are you kidding me?! Are you trying to repeat the year again?!" My mother shouted at me as I buried my head in the couch, trying to tune her out.

"So? It's not like I'm going to be a scientist or something" I mumbled to myself.

"I cannot have a lazy girl be the future of our business!" She screamed.

I grumbled and sat up, "I don't want to RUN the business. Why can't you give it  to Annie or Laura? I don't want to boss people around"

My mother scrunched her face at me, she looked like smoke was going to start coming out of her ears. "Laura has been sucked in by that boy... I can't remember his name... and Annie is not capable of running a business. You know her history!"

"Oh that's low... Don't talk about her like that" I growled in defence of my youngest sister.

"You've changed. Ever since you started hanging around that Kurt you've been nothing but a lazy slob"

My eyes widened and I softened up. She is going to the retirement home as soon as she turns 60.

"Don't blame him! Maybe I'm just growing up and I'm not the person you can imprint your selfishness on!" My light anger had turned into fury.

"You're going to end up just like Annie did!" She yelled, at this point the entire neighbourhood could hear our argument.

"Just shut up! Leave me alone for Christ's sake!"

God she was stuck up

Why does she treat me like this?