CHAPTER 1: YOU DON'T HAVE A DRUMMER!?

June 6th, 1990

"What do you mean you don't have a drummer?! What happened to Chad?" I didn't like yelling at Kurt, especially considering he broke up with Tracy last month, but he was the worst at decision making.

"Well, things weren't working out, he wanted to be a bigger part of the band and his drumming was off!" Kurt defended.

"What do you mean? They're drums for fuck sake"

"You don't know anything about music Finney, sometimes I forget why I even like you."

I balled my fist up, but I stood my ground trying not to let my anger get the best of me. I decided to take a different approach, he wasn't in the best headspace after all.

"Look Kurt, your first album sold pretty decent and you went on tour in Europe! How many bands have done that huh?" I breathe, trying to choose my words wisely. "I just don't want you to waste your potential, as much as I hate saying this, you can't stay with me forever. Especially since you broke up with Tracey"

Kurt sighed and sat down. He sat for a while as I paced my living room.

I needed some time away from all the stress this band was putting on me. After all Kurt was his own person, and maybe he needed some time away from the female species.. or maybe ALL species. I really wasn't in the mood to deal with Kurt.

"Hey Kurt.. Is it okay if I can just.. back off from this band stuff for a while? I need some time for myself. I need to take extra shifts at work anyway. My dad decided to raise the rent on this place because I lied to him about you getting a job so he wouldn't force me to kick you out. " I wasn't sure what his reaction would be, I just hoped he wouldn't be mad.

His gaze saddened, but he slowly nodded. "I don't care, do what you want Finney."

"You have my number.. keep in touch okay? call me if you need anything.. or anyone" I whispered that last part.

What do you mean to keep in touch? You live with him you idiot

"Whatever." Kurt slammed the door and left the room

I felt like a douche. What a great friend I was. I walked out of the flat, feeling a bit of everything, anger, sadness, maybe even a little happy, not having to deal with him.

"You don't know anything about music Finney, sometimes I forget why I even like you."

Did he really mean that? Was he finally sick of me? Have we grown apart? We used to be so close.

Footsteps emerged quickly from behind me, and suddenly, I couldn't see anything.

"Guess who?" A familiar voice softly spoke into my ear.

"Krist I swear to God"

"Not quite" Oliver turned me around and pulled me into a hug.

I awkwardly reciprocated, Oliver was a nice guy, I just didn't know how to interact with him since I didn't really know many guys. I mean except Kurt and Krist. Don't even get me started on Kurt, he is such a handful, and Krist, well he's just a dickhead.

"Fancy seeing you here love, what on Earth are you doing out here? It's like 10 at night" Oliver pushed the hair out of my face.

I looked down at my watch. God, it really was late.

"You need a ride home?" Oliver smiled and I slowly nodded.

"You're a bit quiet tonight aren't you? Are you okay?" He started the car and I closed my eyes. I don't deserve him.

"Yea, i'm fine, just a little tired" I squished my face against the cold windows and tried to focus my eyes on the surroundings.

"You know, your mother has been calling me all day asking where you are" He sighed, he knew we had a rough relationship.

"What does she want now?" I asked, very much annoyed.

"She wants to catch up with you, she hasn't seen you in a couple of months and thought it would be nice" We stopped at a light and Oliver whispered in my ear, "She is paying too"

I softly grinned. "I'm in, just for the food"

He ruffled my hair, "I knew you'd agree"

We pulled up into the driveway of my flat. My heart was racing, I was more scared than I'd like to admit of Kurt.

Oliver shut his car off, "Why is that lazy bum still staying with you? He doesn't pay rent and he treats you like shit"

"You don't know him like I do Ollie I-"

"That doesn't matter, he's a deadbeat, he thinks he is top shit because he's in a band, don't let him intimidate you"

I sighed, "I can't just kick him out, he'd be homeless"

Oliver rolled his eyes. In some form, he was also like my mother. Very disapproving of Kurt.

"You're so weak Fionnuala.." I heard him whisper under his breath.

"See you soon, hey?"

I quietly got out of the car and he drove off. The lights were off, indicating that he was either sleeping or not home. I really hoped for the second option. I tiptoed into the house and saw Kurt, absolutely wasted on the couch. I shrugged it off, this was a normal occurrence anyway.

I stumbled into my room, trying not to wake Kurt up. Slowly closing my bedroom door, I jumped onto my bed, falling asleep instantly.