CHAPTER 8: SHITHEADS ON ICE

Deciding what to eat for dinner was a tough decision at our house, it was either leftovers or ingredients, and I barely ever felt like cooking. Unfortunately, my thinking was abruptly stopped by knocking at the door.

I grumbled and made my way over to the front door.

"What do you want?" I sighed, as Krist smirked at me.

"Shelli and I are going ice skating. You should come along." He said while Shelli peeked from behind him and smiled at me.

I slowly waved to her. "Umm, I don't really know" I scratched my neck.

He raised his eyebrow and nudged my shoulder, "Dave is also coming"

My heart started beating a little faster, "Well.. I guess I could go"

He whispered something to Shelli and then we got into his car.

We stopped at Dave's to pick him up. He walked out of his house in a big puffy jacket and baggy jeans, he looked really stupid, but cute at the same time.

He climbed into the back seat and sat in the middle, even though the other window seat was free.

"Oh hey Finney I didn't know you were coming" He engulfed me in a big hug.

"Guys don't do anything weird in my back seats I just cleaned them" Krist said, sarcastically but not really.

We both blushed

"Shut up Krist" We said in unison.

He shook his head in disapproval.

"Hey, how come Kurt isn't here?" Dave whispered.

"I would've asked him to come, but he's STILL working off a hangover from last night. And he is kind of a loser so he wouldn't come anyway" I shrugged.

"Sounds about right. What a bummer though" Dave sighed.

I slowly nodded

"All right guys we're here, try not to crack your heads open okay?" Krist said as we all got out of the car.

"Ooh, we got here at a good time, no one's here" Shelli beamed.

There were at least 5 other people there, so not totally deserted, but almost.

We all hired our skates because we obviously couldn't afford any.

"Woooah, this is way harder than it was when I was 13" Krist scrambled to the wall for balance.

"Have you ever skated before?" Dave turned to me before getting on the ice.

"Uhh not really. I've roller skated before though" I awkwardly smiled.

"Great! You'll get the hang of it fast" He smiled.

He stepped onto the ice and started walking with his skates, barely balancing and flinging his arms around trying to balance.

I slowly put my feet onto the ice, I tried to skate like the figure skaters I saw on TV, but I didn't realize how hard it actually was. I quickly scrambled to the wall for some support.

"Here take my hand, try to stay off the wall, it's not a good habit to have" She smiled and held out her hand.

I grabbed her hand and slowly wobbled off the wall.

"There, now tell me if we are going too fast" She slowly started maneuvering her feet in a gliding motion.

I heard a loud bang from behind me, I turned around and saw Dave with his back on the ice just in front of a wall and Krist was laughing his ass off at him.

"Hah. He probably rammed himself into that wall. His technique isn't very good. He's basically just walking and balancing. Barely" Shelli giggled.

I laughed, which made my balance go out the window and I fell face first on the cold ice.

I could hear Krist laughing from the other side of the rink. I groaned.

I slowly lifted myself up from the ice, trying to maintain my balance at the same time.

"Hey, are you okay?" Dave came up to me and grabbed my hands.

"Uh yea I guess" I shrugged.

"Here, I will be your balance beam" He said as he started skating backwards and pulling me along.

"Since when could you skate backwards?" I laughed

"Since never. We all have to try new things once in a while" He said seriously.

"I'm not quite sure if I should be trusting you. I saw you and Krist racing and tripping along the way" I humbled him.

"Ehhhh.. It's fine I'll be extra careful with you" He carefully motioned his feet while occasionally checking to see if anyone was behind him.

Slowly, I was starting to get the hang of my foot movement and Dave was starting to let go of me for a few seconds at a time to see how I could balance.

"Hey! How come you're not helping me here? I'm struggling too!" Krist laughed as he kept sliding back and forth to keep his balance.

"Isn't it obvious? You're not a pretty girl!" Dave yelled across the rink.

I could feel myself blushing at his comment.

"Okay.. I think you have it. Try and skate without me" Dave slowly backed away from me. "If you fall, I'll be right here"

Don't make a fool of yourself. He's watching you.

I put my hands out to my sides for extra balance and started gliding slowly towards him.

"There! you have it" Dave did a mini jump on the ice and nearly fell on his ass again.

"Try not to go home with more blood than you've already shed" I leaned over him and chuckled.

He held his arm out for me to help him. "I can't promise anything. But I will try just for you"

I pulled him up from the ice and glanced to my side to see Krist and Shelli being all lovey dovey across from us.

"Look at those lovebirds, we must be third wheeling them" I shook my head.

"Maybe. Or maybe they're third wheeling us" He shrugged with a smile and slowly skated away.

I liked it when he makes those little comments, he confused me.

We all skated for the next 2 hours, with LOTS of falls. Not too much blood, which was a relief.

"Okay, do you guys have everything?" Shelli turned to Dave and I from the passenger seat while Krist started the car.

"Yep!" I smiled while I buckled my seatbelt.

"Today was so fun. I only fell 7 times!" Dave laughed.

I was so tired, yet so excited at the same time. Krist and Shelli began talking amongst themselves about unimportant stuff.

I felt Dave's warm hand slowly creep into mine, I looked up at him and he was smiling.

So I smiled back.

NOTE: Sorry for not updating! I've been having a bit of writers block, so I made this chapter a bit longer to compensate.