three

"So, let me get this straight," Jayla's voice speaks through the phone as I plop down onto my bed, "You want a boyfriend because your jealous of your sister." I roll my eyes at her changing my words, although that was what I was feeling at the time.

"Not jealous, it was more of like a wake up call. I need to experiment Jayla. I've had crushes and the odd kiss at a party, yes, but I've never actually had a boyfriend." She hums as I hear rustling on the other side of the line, "Where are you right now?" I ask as I hear a smack type noise echo through the phone.

"Jaden has a game today, he's just warming up." Ahh, right. I swear Jaden loves baseball more then his girlfriend, sometimes I actually fell sorry for the poor girl. I wince, here I go again, thinking about him and Ava, this needs to stop. "Jayla, I need a boyfriend asap." I speak into the phone, my voice holding urgency.

Jayla laughs as there's another wack, "What's the rush? You know it's never good to jump into relationships, Lee. There's no chemistry then, you need to bond before you actually get with a boy. You know, like, go on dates and stuff." I sigh.

She's right. Jayla is always right. I'm never going to actually find someone I like if I just jump into things head on, "So...how do I find someone?" I ask as I pick the chipped nail polish off of my nails.

"Easy. Step one, go to a party. Step two, find a boy who catches your eye. Step three, make a move. Step four, you go through the talking stage. Step five, you go on dates. Step six, you become boyfriend and girlfriend." My eyes widen, no way is it that easy.

"I don't know, Jay." I mumble as I walk up to my big, open, window and look out at the sun shining through the trees whilst kids laugh and play with their ball, "That's quite a lot of steps, and whose to say they all go to plan?" I run my hand through my hair whilst I plop down onto my beanbag that's in the corner of my room.

I hear her snicker, "Then he's obviously not the right guy." She says in a 'duh' voice.

The right guy. It sounds so foreign to me. Is there even such a thing as 'the right guy?' I don't even believe in soul mates. Things like that just doesn't make sense to me, it's not like the right guy is right under my nose; in my reach.

"Maybe." I mumble after a while before there's a knock on my door, "Jayla, I've got to go. I'll see you tonight, I love you."

"I love you, Lee." After that, she hangs up the phone.

"Come in!" I call out. The person on the other side opens the door and I'm shocked when I see it's Javon, "Shit, hey. I didn't know you were coming over, I would've like..made snacks. I literally just got off the phone to Jay, what's up?" He walks into the room and slumps down on my bed.

"Right, I'm going to need you to push your hatred towards Jaden back for now and come with me to his game." Javon announces. My mouth drops open, about to protest, before he raises his hand, making me snap my mouth shut, "Please? It's a big game, and I think it would be good for you to be there. You know, support him and stuff." Wanna shrugs whilst he grabs my blanket and wraps it around himself.

I don't speak for a minute straight before I turn my full attention to him, "What are you doing?"

"What do you mean? I'm not doing anythi—"

"Yes, you are. Your trying to get me and Jaden to get along, why?" I call him out whilst he lays flat on his back, staring up at my ceiling.

"Honestly? I'm just so tired of you and him fighting all the time. I just want all of us to get along for once, no arguments." I bite my lip whilst I try to put myself in Javon's shoes. I guess it would be quite annoying if my friend and sibling didn't get along, it would be pretty irritating. "I see where your coming from, I really do, but some people just don't get along, Wanna." I dismiss as I send a message to Jayla to say I'll be over after the game.

"Please, Leah? Just try? I'll never ask for any favour again." He promises.

"Unless it's urgent?"

"Unless it's urgent." He repeats whilst holding his pinky finger out to me. I stare at it for a second, a second where I doubt this whole idea, before I'm linking my pinky with his. "Thank you. Right we need to leave, he goes on the field in twenty minutes." I nod my head and throw on a black coat before me and Javon make our way out of my room and downstairs.

"I'm leaving, mum! I'll be back tomorrow." I call out to my mother, who's sitting in the living room with Stella watching some TV show. "Okay!" We say our goodbyes before Wanna and I make our way to the car.

"Javon, I just want you to know that I will try, but if he starts being a dick about it, I'm not going to hold back." Javon rolls his eyes at my dramatics whilst he  puts on his playlist, most likely to block me out.

I scoff and turn to look out the window, "Rude." I mutter whilst I hear Wanna snicker beside me. We make it to our school fifteen minutes later, and park with all the other cars before hopping out and walking to the baseball field. It doesn't take long to find Jayla and the Walton's as they sit near the front to get a good look at the game.

When Jayla spots me, she smiles brightly, "What are you doing here?" She asks me with a tilt of her head. Honestly, I have no idea how I let Wanna talk me into this, but here I am. "I thought you were going to meet me back at the house?" So did I, Jayla. So did I.

"Long story, when does the game start?" I ask whilst I take a seat in between Daelo and Jayla, "Five minutes," DJ announces as he checks the time on his phone, "Looks like you got here just in time, kid." He smiles at me before he leans down to hear something Daelo had just asked him.

"Right, now tell me why you're really here. Don't give me the 'long story' bullshit." Jayla whisper shouts, so her parents don't listen in on our conversation. I roll my eyes and look around the field to see if I can spot Jaden, and I roll my eyes as I look at the exact time he shares a sloppy kiss with Ava. Seriously? There's kids around. Fuck, his whole family is here. I don't think they want to see him sharing his saliva with his girlfriend. That's gross.

"Yuck." I mutter under my breath before I sigh and give into Jayla—who, by the way, is glaring at me. If looks could kill, I'd be dead. I'm just saying.

"Javon asked if I could try and get along with Jaden. That's literally it." I shrug like it's nothing. I hear Jayla gasp as she grabs both sides of my face and turns my head, so I'm looking at her, "And you agreed? Are you feeling okay? Do I need to get you a doctor?" I shrug her off and cross my arms over my chest, "No," I scoff, "Me and Jaden aren't that bad." I don't know why I'm trying to defend him, but it slips out before I can bite my tongue.

"Yeah, right. Is that why you were chasing him around the house with a bat two weeks ago?" I wince as I think back to that day. In my defensive, my day was already shitty; he had only made it worse.

"That was a one time thing."

"Oh, sure. So was punching him square in the nose for telling you to fuck off." She reminds me sarcastically. I huff. Fine, maybe me and Jaden really are enemies? Can I even call us that?

I just can't get along with the kid, it's not my fault.

I jump when everyone starts cheering, and that's when I realise the game is about to start. Looking up, I freeze when my eyes clash with a pair of brown ones—brown ones that are glaring daggers at me. I gulp as I stare at Jaden, this was a bad idea.

For some reason, this eye-contact feels different from other times; this time, it's way more intimidating. I release a breath I didn't even know I was holding when Jaden breaks eye-contact whilst getting into his position.

I'm dreading for when the game finishes. I can already tell this 'getting along' plan is going to go down hill very quickly.