part 14

A draft hit my legs and spine. As the coldness touched my bare skin, goosebumps appeared all over my body, and I began to stir and stretch my aching legs. I felt the cold hardwood floor against my skin.

I sat up, rubbing my eyes, and took in my surroundings. I noticed the light filtering through the gray curtains. The unmade king-size bed in the far corner drew my attention—from the looks of it, this wasn't my room.

I looked down at my clothes, finally noticing the red dress draped over my body as my heels sprawled on the floor. On cue, the door opened wide, and I quickly rose to my feet, swallowing the ball that had formed in my throat. I looked ahead, zeroing in on the shirtless boy.

His toned abs were on display, and I couldn't help but stare. It wasn't just his fit figure that caught my attention, but the ink on his upper chest—the design of a small bird. He coughed as if he had noticed me staring.

"Good morning to you as well." I gave him a fake smile before quickly dropping it and rolling my eyes. Even after doing him a huge favor by attending the stupid event, Nico was going back to his usual rude self. Unbelievable.

Even with my hazy memory, what I do remember from last night is all the nonsense from Jade and her friends, as well as the sheer embarrassment I felt when Dan pulled me away and reprimanded me for being there.

I didn't have much memory after being dragged onto the dance floor. I guess I had drank more than I should have before leaving, making my memory of the rest of the night foggy.

"What happened last night?" "And why am I at your house?" I asked him, wanting to hear his story because he had barely anything to drink.

"You don't remember?" He began by waiting for me to respond, so I shook my head and continued to wait for him to speak.

He smirked and began to pull out his phone, turning it around so I could see the screen of his cracked phone.

Looking at the screen, I noticed him pressing the play button on a video.

The video captured a video of me puking everything I had consumed that night near some bushes.

"So you recorded instead of helping me while I puked?" I asked him. crossing my arms around my chest.

"Pretty much."

"But how does that explain why I'm even here?" "No offense, but why would I want to spend more time with you than I have to?"

"You were locked out."

"Don't say I didn't help." "You had a place to sleep for the night."

"I'm also suffering from back pain." "Thank you for giving me the floor," I added.

I started looking around his room and noticed my phone near his nightstand; however, when I tried to tap the screen, the phone wouldn't budge and was completely dead.

"What time is it?"

"It's 12:50," he said, pulling his phone from his joggers.

"Twelve fifty?" My jaw dropped to the floor as I realized how late it was. Nico nodded and stuffed his phone into his pocket.

He watched as I grabbed my phone and bent down to pick up my heels from the floor while holding my phone in the other hand. As I approached the door, Nico moved to the side and swung the door open.

When Enzo came out of his room, I started down the stairs. He raised an eyebrow and looked at both of us with a piercing glare.

As he ran his hand through his hair, his lips parted.

"Did you guys...?" My eyes widened. Enzo didn't have to finish his sentence for me to understand what he was saying. With Nico being shirtless, my dress wrinkled, my long hair out of place, and my makeup now smudged, I was sure he thought we were doing something else.

"Eww" "Fuck no," Nico and I said in unison. I scoffed at him.

"Nothing happened." "I wish I could talk more, but all I want to do is get home." I rubbed my head.

Enzo gave a nod. I trailed down the stairs and opened the front door, leaving their house and walking down the driveway to my house before he could say anything else.

I decided to cut through the grass instead, despite the slight gravel.

Finally, as I stood on my front steps, my mind began to race with a million thoughts, especially since I had no idea what was behind the door.

I twisted the doorknob, expecting chaos to ensue.

When I walked in, I quietly shut the door and went upstairs.

"Mila." A powerful voice yelled. When I looked to my left, Dan was approaching from the kitchen, holding a phone.

I looked to my side to see that Wendy had emerged from the office.

"Where have you been?" Dan started yelling. Wendy's eyes widened as she moved closer to Dan.

"Sweetie," she began to say, but Dan ignored her.

"Do you notice the time?" "We've been worried sick."

I couldn't think of anything to say.

"Where were you?" He demanded to know.

"It's none of your business." Finally, I said I couldn't understand why he was yelling when he had just told me the night before that he didn't want me even in the same room with him.

"I am your father, and it does."

"A shitty one," I added, turning around and rushing up the stairs.

"What's that?" He asked as he approached me and grabbed my arm.

His eyes darkened as he became enraged. His grip on my arm tightened. I could hear Wendy telling Dan to "calm down."

"Let me go."

I said this as I yanked his hand away from me and walked up the stairs to my room.

I tried to keep my emotions under control. Once in my room, I slammed the door shut. Why was this happening? I asked as I yelled into my pillow.

***

I walked to the kitchen with the empty bowl halfway through the movie. I reached into the cupboard, grabbed a box of popcorn, and quickly threw it into the microwave. As the minutes passed, I noticed Nico approaching me.

He had been quiet throughout the movie as we focused our attention on the screen, but I couldn't deny he had been acting strange, let alone not showing up to school and then appearing here with bruises on his hands.

"What's up with you?" As he sipped his water, he raised an eyebrow. He shrugged and set the cup down.

"Nothing."

"Where have you been?" I was curious as to why he had gone missing.

"Busy."

"All right, Mr. Vague."

"Why do you care?" "It's none of your business," he yelled at me.

"As far as I know, you're friends with Enzo, not me."

"You're right, we're not friends." And don't worry, that'll be the last time I ask about your well-being." I said this as I examined his bruised hand.

The microwave beeped, indicating that the popcorn had finished popping. I took it from the microwave, emptied it into a bowl, and returned to the living room.

Nico didn't seem to be trailing this time.