part 37

My alarm rang loudly, echoing off the nightstand table. Hitting snooze for the second time, I pressed the button once more before my last alarm went off, jolting me awake.

My feet dangled over the edge of my bed as I sat up, rubbing my eyes open and eventually dragging myself out of bed. I went to the restroom to brush my teeth, cleanse my face, and apply moisturizer to keep my skin hydrated. 

I returned to my room, grabbing a denim jacket, a black cropped shirt, and a pair of ripped jeans, doing a strange shuffle dance as I put the jeans on. I then sat in my chair, staring at my reflection in my vanity mirror. 

When I looked in the mirror, I noticed how pale and dry my lips were, so I applied a bit of gloss to them while leaving the rest of my face alone. I checked my phone, grabbed my backpack from the floor, slung it over my shoulder, and walked downstairs.

As I was doing so, I ran into Alex, who was hurrying down the stairs. Following behind him, he hurriedly walked over to the dining table with his tablet, where he resumed watching a video while munching on some cereal.

 I approached the kitchen, grabbed a bowl, and quickly served myself cereal. I sat at the table, took the milk, and poured it into my bowl. I began eating my breakfast with my spoon in my right hand. I ate most of my breakfast in silence, occasionally peering over at Alex's tablet. When I was finished, I placed the dish in the sink. I wiped my hands with a kitchen towel before pulling my phone from my pocket.

Looking down, Nico's name appeared. I let a groan escape my lips as I read his text.

The message read:

Nico: I can't drive you to school today. Sorry.

I was curious as to why he couldn't drive me to school. Another part of me was annoyed that he waited until the last minute to inform me. I checked the time and realized that if I left now, I'd be on time. I walked to my backpack, which lay on the floor, and strapped it over my shoulder once more, this time heading to the front door and walking down the paved driveway as I headed to school.

***

During lunch, I entered the cafeteria and took a seat, scanning the room for the other Valore brother. My luck failed, as neither showed up.

Mila: Is everything good?

I sent Nico the text messages, and a short while later I noticed that he had read them but had not responded.

I thought the whole thing was odd and waited a few minutes. Maybe he forgot to respond? I told myself that I would give him the benefit of the doubt. I could have easily gotten upset over him not responding back, but something told me there was more to this than it appeared, so after school I made my way home, leaving my backpack and changing into something much more comfortable before walking across the yard and standing in front of the Valores residence.

I noticed Nico's car was the only one there, so I raised my fist and knocked on the door.

I knocked again and again, but no one answered. until, after the fifth knock, the door swung open wide.

a ruffled collar Nico pushed open the door, straightened his hair, and blinked. "Mila?" "What are you doing here?" He asked, his eyebrows raised as if he couldn't believe I was there.

I shoved him out the door to make room for myself. His eyes followed me before he closed the door.

I scanned the living room and noticed the broken shards of glass from a knocked-over picture frame.

I turned back to face Nico. "I think you should go." He said this while looking down at his feet and then at his hands.

I shook my head. "I'm not going anywhere, Nico." He shrugged, and I watched him stumble as he walked to the kitchen, opening the fridge and grabbing a beer before returning to the foyer and starting up the stairs, grabbing the railing as he fought off the effects of the alcohol.

I trailed behind him, hoping he didn't trip or injure himself in any way. He reached the top of the stairs and walked to his room, opening the door.

He took a large swig before placing it on his nightstand alongside the other bottles he'd consumed. He put it down and walked over to his bed, where he sat and made himself at home. His piercing stare shifted to the space next to him, which he patted. "Sit," he said, stretching his legs and returning his head to the pillow.

I stood near the door for a while, then moved closer to him until I finally sat on the empty spot. Being so close to him, I could smell the overwhelming smell of alcohol coming off of him. I didn't bother him to find out why, but he could tell by the look on my face that I was concerned.

"On this day a year ago... my mother died." He revealed this as he closed his eyes, wiping away tears. My eyes widened as I heard the news. I parted my lips to comfort him, but I couldn't find the right words.

Instead, I let my hands fall on his hair and moved a strand of hair behind his ear. His watery eyes opened, and he forced a smile.

I don't force him to speak, instead focusing on the present moment and feeling his chest rise.

"She was the glue that kept this family together." He sighed, "And now—my father's always away on business; he's practically abandoned us, and Enzo, all we seem to do is fight—" He shook his head, stopping his sentence, and looked away from me.

"I'm angry at the world for taking away everything good I've ever had." I didn't chime in; I simply listened to what he said as he spilled his truth. I don't think there was anything I could say to take this pain away other than being here for him.

I got closer to him by laying my head flat on the pillow and letting my hand connect with his by interlacing our fingers.

After a brief moment of silence, I craned my neck and looked up to see a tear streaming down his cheek. I reached forward instinctively and gently wiped it off of him. He sniffled before parting his lips and mumbling, "I'm glad I have you."

"I am too." And as we closed our eyes, the only thing that came to mind was how much I never wanted this to end.