part 28

The sunlight entered the room. The day was sunny, and my room lit up naturally from the sun. I twisted and turned, stretching my legs, as my mind and last night's events flashed through my mind. Even after looking at the floor, I quickly looked to my side and noticed that my room was empty. Nico had left.

My phone buzzed from my alarm, and I quickly pressed snooze before my eyes caught sight of a ripped notebook paper, my water bottle holding it in place so it wouldn't blow away.

I stood up and reached forward to grab the paper. the words scribbled quickly in black ink

Our deal ends soon. -Nico

Seeing the note left me confused. Was this his sober or drunk self?

I crumpled up the note before tossing it on my desk. I ignored it for the time being, knowing that I'd have to ask him in person later. I walked over to the bathroom, brushed my teeth, and did my skincare, skipping makeup and just adding a bit of gloss.

I returned to my room, changing out of my soft fleece PJs and into a simple shirt, a black hoodie, and jeans.

I grabbed my backpack and went downstairs.

As I went to the sink to refill my water bottle, I overheard Wendy rushing and hurrying Alex to finish eating.

"Where did I leave it?" she wondered, tapping her temple.

I walked over to the pantry, grabbing a quick granola bar for breakfast, ignoring their morning chaos and her usual pregnancy brain.

I ate the granola and threw the wrapper in the trash before walking down the steps to school as I had been doing.

I saw Enzo's car in the driveway while walking down near the Valores' driveway. It was a rare occurrence because he always left for school early.

I walked up and noticed he was sitting inside the car. I tapped on the passenger window and watched as his eyes lit up and his hands moved to his controls to unlock the car.

"Hey." I flashed him a smile as I sat down.

"Woah!" I exclaimed, "What's up with the bruise?" I asked, seeing his inflamed and beaten red eye.

"I dropped my phone when I was lying down," he said, biting his lip and scratching the back of his neck, something he and his brother would do when they were nervous, or in this case, lying.

"Oh?" Then I remembered what Nico said the night before. Something was going on between Enzo and Nico, right? It was the only reasonable explanation for why he didn't want to see his brother last night.

"Crazy how I never get bruises when that happens."

"Weird," he said, changing the subject.

I didn't push the conversation and kept my thoughts to myself as he pulled out of the driveway and began to head to school.

I was standing near my locker, grabbing my books, when I noticed Nico standing near his locker, talking to Mason and Tory. I approached them, greeting them.

"Hey."

Mason was looking at his phone when Tory pulled me aside and asked, "Are you guys all right?" She asked, her brows knitted together, a concerned expression on her face. "Yeah," I said, nodding.

"He's just having a bad day." I made up an excuse for his strange behavior.

And then it occurred to me that maybe he was embarrassed about spilling his mind last night. It was the only thing that made sense and explained his cold demeanor toward me more than his usual cold, resentful self.

***

I finished my lunch and began walking toward my next class, grabbing a few items from my locker before the bell rang.

When I turned to face the far end of the hall and noticed Nico, I stopped twisting my code into the lock. He continued to walk with his hands in his pocket, covering his hands. He didn't notice me at first, but once he did, he came to a complete stop and turned around. I sighed before approaching him and grabbing his arm, pulling him to face me.

"Why are you ignoring me?" This reminded me of our kiss, except the roles were reversed and I was the one asking questions.

He remained silent and shrugged as he drew his arm away from me.

"Way to think everything is about you," he spat out in his harsh and strict tone. ouch

"See, I don't get you—you're nice one second, and then you're giving me the silent treatment the next." "You're confusing!" I added emphasis at the end to ensure he got the message loud and clear.

I felt rage build up inside me. "I'm glad our deal is ending soon."

"Finally. something we can both agree on." It was the last thing he said to me before turning and walking away. 

The bell rang, signaling the beginning of class—the same one we shared and the one he didn't bother showing up for.