Part 42

I was seated in a lounge chair near my gate, listening to music through headphones. Looking ahead, I noticed people walking around with their suitcases. My gaze followed everyone as they clutched their boarding passes and looked around for their gates.

I averted my eyes as I reached into my backpack for the book I'd packed. Resuming where I had left off, I began to concentrate on the book's pages.

I set my book aside and placed it on the seat next to me as I looked down at my lap and reached for my phone. I felt a vibration and heard a sudden ringing sound from my phone. Who was calling? I started to wonder.

A ball formed in my throat as I flipped the phone over to see the screen and realized who was calling.

I tried to shake it off, but I couldn't get rid of the uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach. I hovered above the decline button with trembling hands, but I'm not sure what it was, or rather, what had gotten into me that my mind decided to pick up.

I raised the phone to my ear after disconnecting and removing my headphones.

I waited for him to speak, not saying anything.

After a few seconds of silence, I heard him call my name in hushed tones.

"Mila." I cast a downward glance.

"Nico, I can't talk right now."

"Now boarding Gate 501-B." A voice announced over the intercom.

I cast a glance over to the lady who stood near the boarding area making the announcement.

"What was that?" His tone grew tense.

"I have to go."

"Are you leaving?" His voice cracked. I tried to maintain my cool as my eyes welled up with tears.

I lacked the courage to say yes, so I let my silence speak for me.

"Bye." It was the final thing I said before hanging up the phone and saying my last words to Nico.

I stood up, gathered my belongings, stuffed them into my backpack, and took my carry-on and boarding pass. I kept moving forward in line.

People ahead of me scanned their tickets and continued down the boarding bridge. I approached the counter and scanned my boarding pass. I started to make my way through the doors as soon as the light on the screen turned green. I came to a halt in the middle of boarding the bridge, unsure whether to continue.

I had no reason to be here and no reason to stay. I had lost people I had considered friends, most notably the guy to whom I had given my heart and soul. I couldn't go on day after day, suffering from the constant ache in my chest.

My only option was clear as ever: I had to leave now before everything spiraled even further out of control.

I kept walking, strolling my bag across the boarding bridge, until I came to a halt as I approached the plane's open door.

Greeted by nearby flight attendants, I forced a smile and lifted my bag onto the plane, carrying it as I walked along the small, narrow walkway. My seat was near the back. I slid into the farthest

seat near the window, lifting my bag over the top compartment.

The plane began to fill up with passengers, who took their seats and carried their luggage to the overhead compartment.

"Gentlemen and ladies," "Welcome to Spade Airline Flight 501B,"

"We'll be taking off shortly, so please make sure your carry-on luggage is securely stowed, either in an overhead compartment or under the seat in front of you—mobile phones and other electronic devices should be turned off." The older lady announced over the loud intercom as other flight attendants walked up and down the walkway, making sure all bags were stowed and no obstacles were in the way.

Hearing the various announcements over the loudspeaker, I paid some attention as they continued to explain the safety protocol. Halfway through their explanation, I put on my headphones and looked out my window to see the plane taxiing down the runway.

The plane began throttling forward, and after a while, the plane shifted gears and began to accelerate, faster and faster, until we were no longer on the ground but rather in the air as we made our way far from Emerson.

For a brief moment, I examined my phone, looking at the last text message I had received from Nico. When I saw Nico's message, I couldn't help but smile.

I'll miss you.

I put my phone on airplane mode and placed it in my pocket as I leaned my head against the window. I sighed; only now did I realize that this was where Nico and I ended.

Our time together was now a deeply etched memory that I would cherish for the rest of my life, but the thought only saddened me as I realized I would be left with bittersweet memories that would last much longer than the time it took to know him—my first love, my first heartbreak, my first everything.

Now we were strangers.