Ch. 3

"Miss Reign," a maid called a bit timidly.

Reign looked up from her book and looked at her. "Yes?"

"Shouldn't you start getting ready for the New Year's banquet?"

She thought it over. "It's fine if I don't go at all right?"

The maid made a panicked face. "But you must! Akito wants you there! The head of the family also wants to meet with you before it starts."

Reign sighed and closed the book. "I'll go get ready. Please accompany me with getting dressed and then you may go spend the holiday with your family. I'd hate for you to miss out on the holiday because of me."

She smiled and bowed. "Thank you miss. Now let's head upstairs."

The moment the two got upstairs, the maid went into the closet and pulled out a  pale blue kimono with flowers accentuating it. The tiny bits of white on it matched well with the blue and the flowers. The kimono had a slightly darker shade of blue on it that paired nicely with the pale blue. It was tied tightly on her stomach and made her look taller than she already was but she didn't mind. The sleeves flowed out on her arms and her hips after it was tied on her waist. The kimono itself was soft light unlike a few of her more traditional ones. Her maid helped her step into it and helped her tie it up.

Though she didn't ask, the maid pulled her hair into a high ponytail and left some hairs down to frame her face before combing her bangs out neatly. Reign's makeup was the same as usual; light makeup on the face so it didn't make her look like a different person, chapstick on the lips, a bit of blush on her cheeks, and fox eye eyeliner to make her fox eyes stand out. The only jewelry she wore was a ring her parents gifted her on the index finger of her left hand, a bracelet Aya gave her for her birthday, and some earrings she picked out herself.

Reign checked herself once over and put on a pair of white flats that paired nicely with her kimono and left to Akito's residence. It wasn't far from hers so she didn't need anyone to accompany her. It was quiet since it was New Year's in the inside of the estate which annoyed her. She reached Akito's residence and was allowed inside immediately. Akito's head maid showed her where Akito was despite Reign already knowing from the numerous times she's been called here since Akito was born. Reign slide open the door and saw a dressed Akito laying on the floor.

"I thought I told you not to open the door until Reign got here. Get out." Akito spat coldly.

Reign closed the door behind her and sighed. "What is it now Akito? A headache? A fever? Weakened immune system? Lack of sunlight?"

Akito looked up and smiled at Reign before crawling over towards her and clinging onto her. "Reign, Reign, please just hold me. I feel so sick. Please." Akito pleaded.

Reign crouched down on her knees and held Akito. It seemed childish to do so but she was used to it. It was Akito after all. Akito clung to Reign so hard that Reign winced at the pain under her breath.

"Why are you so dressed up lately?" Akito asked suddenly. "This is your usual getup but I've heard lately you've been dressing up like a foreigner. Are you trying to leave me? Did you find someone to meet with that I don't know about?"

"Of course not." Reign reassured in a monotone voice. "I don't dare dream of leaving you and it's too much energy to find someone and hide them from you."

Akito chuckled. "It is, but of course you haven't thought about leaving me. All of us are bound to be together by our connection, forever and forever. Unchanging bonds that no one can severe."

Reign said nothing. There was nothing to say. All she felt was Akito's head rub against her stomach as she was thinking of how to zone out in a situation such as this.