Ch. 21

"Miss Soma," the maid said sheepishly. "Excuse me for speaking out of line here but if I may, you look much happier nowadays."

Reign looked through the mirror to look at her. Her expression was genuine and her words were warm. Reign blushed and fiddled with her fingers.

"Thank you. I have been very happy these last few months. I'd like to thank you for assisting me for the last three years. And for the foreseeable future, you will no longer be needed to assist me."

Reign turned around to face her and the maid had a surprised expression written on her face. Reign grabbed her hand and held it softly.

"I don't mean I'm replacing you. I mean that I no longer need nor want help anymore. I'm twenty-eight, not a child. You have your own life and I have mine. I hope you understand."

The maid smiled and bowed her head. "I do Miss. Then if I may, let me assist you once more before you go."

Reign squeezed her hand reassuringly before letting it go and turning around in the chair. She had plans of Mayuko visiting her today which was why she was getting so dressed up. She only had her makeup done so far and was currently getting her hair pulled into a side fishtail braid. Once it was done and her bangs were styled accordingly, Reign put on pale pink dress and matching sweater with pearls adorned on it.

Reign put on her slippers and headed downstairs to prepare the tea. She got out the tea set and set it up in her garden. Soon, there was a knock on the door and she opened it, letting Mayuko in. When Reign let her in she was surprised by something and Mayuko instantly let out a laugh. Reign watched her with wide eyes and Mayuko hugged her dearly.

"I expected a reaction but your eyes Reign." she laughed. "Your eyes are too amusing."

Reign shut the door and hugged her back. "My eyes are amusing? That's a first. But when did you cut your hair?"

Mayuko let her go and wiped her eyes. "I cut it not too long ago. A few days after our last visit."

"But why? It was so beautiful."

"Shedding my past." she said simply, an elated look on her face. "I want to start a new chapter in my life."

Reign eyed her demeanor and could tell she meant it. It's true; everyone is changing and for the better. She smiled and wrapped her arm around Mayuko and escorted her to the garden.

"A new chapter in life? Exciting." she said encouragingly.

Mayuko chuckled. "That's true. Seeing you and Kana start a new one made me want to do the same."

"Am I that influential?" Reign teased.

"Alright I take my words back."

The two of them bickered playfully the entire way to the garden. Reign brought the tea and sat next to Mayuko on the couch she had outside. She poured the tea into the cups before handing one to Mayuko and taking one for herself.

"Has everything been good since we've last seen each other?" Mayuko asked, briefly taking a sip of the tea.

Reign took a rather big gulp of it before setting the cup down. "In a way I guess yes. I'm sure you've heard about what happened to Tohru."

"She's still in the hospital isn't she? The kids talked about it in class so I overheard it."

She nodded. "She gets released soon, as does Kureno."

"Kyo has been quieter than usual at school. Yuki, Hanajima, and Uotani as well. It's chilling in a way." Mayuko admitted with an unpleasant smile. "I think the other kids in the class feel the same way as me."