First Contact

Chapter 2

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” 

-Arthur C Clarke

Manila, Philippines

January 24, 2026

Malacañang Palace, Cabinet Room

An old aged man is looking through the reports and paperwork given to him for work. His appearance looks like a 40-year-old man with wrinkles on his face, black hair with small strands of gray hair, tan skin, and a big flat nose. The clothes,  he is wearing is a traditional Barong and black pants and also brown leather shoes.

No such position can't be overwhelming as the president of his country. Trying to take down corruption in the government and recovering the economy from the Covid-19 pandemic and sanctions from the Russo-Ukraine War that plague the country's economy.

The former predecessor managed to decrease the crime rates and corruption inside the government while committing some human rights violations. And the next predecessor tries to make the economy stable and makes better relations with other countries for trading relation after the pandemic.

Pres. Emmanuel Sanchez is having a big decision for a situation that would never be a possibility for his country despite being elected for barely a year.

He's in the Cabinet room with his secretary and advisors having a cabinet meeting for the next act of order.

"Mister President, we need to respond now! Our national security is at risk of unknown threats from this recent discovery." The Secretary of National Defence alarmed him.

"Before we go jumping to conclusions. Has there been any information on this Ring?" Pres. Emmanuel mentioned.

"Affirmative, from the additional research from the scientific personnel attached to the coast guard. They measure the Ring to be two miles wide and sixty meters in height, also the Ring is located about five miles on the coastline of Manila and three and a half miles on Cavite City." The National Intelligence Coordinating Agency or (NICA) minister explained.

"As for the flying creature that came out of the Ring and attacked the investigation team? "

"Well, sir, the Coast guard managed to fish out the body, and surprisingly the creature is not recognized by the coast guard."

"What do you mean? Is it a native animal from the Ring?"

The NICA minister shows a picture of the dead creature's body being dissected by the scientist that is trying to figure out the creature.

"That looks like a dragon that came out of a fantasy book!" A four star general gasped of the dead body.

"The scientist said that it retains no records of any comparison of this creature. But the scientist examined the subject and hypothesize that it was probably related to a dragon or more likely a wyvern in certain terms."

"What is the difference between a dragon and a wyvern?" Pres. Sanchez  questioned.

"A dragon has two wings and four legs on the body while a wyvern has two wings and legs." The NICA minister informed.

"But the most peculiar thing that they found on the creature was a saddle on it's back."

"Wait! You mean a saddle for a mount."

"Yes, and it bears symbolic marks and some crystal tubes for an unknown purpose. Our researchers are still finding answers to that. It also guesses there are intelligent species on the other side of the Ring."
"
Seems problematic if the locals there are actually hostile to outsiders. The Minister of Defence pointed out."