9 - I don't care who's watching.

When Nate entered the bedroom, I was lounging in the chair, staring out the window. I'd originally sat there to give my nail polish a few minutes to dry, but the quiet was so peaceful I didn't want to get up.

Nate smirked. "Are you hiding in here?"

"No. I was painting my nails." I wiggled my fingers at him as proof.

"Cute."

"But they've been dry for a while, so now I'm kinda hiding."

He chuckled, and I noticed the patches of coarse sawdust coating his skin and a few curls of wood poking out of his hair. "You're all messy."

"Yeah, I came up to shower." He looked at himself. "I thought I'd dusted most of it off outside though."

"It's sticking to your neck, and some bits are in your hair."

"Oh." He reached up to feel it and wrinkled his nose. "It's glued to my sweat. Do you want a hug?"

He reached for me, and I shrieked. "Ew, gross. Go take a shower."

Grinning, he went to his suitcase and picked out a clean outfit. "What are we doing today?"

"Well," I checked the time on my phone, "it's after lunch, but we could find something to snack on downstairs. No one's said anything yet, but we usually have dinner all together on Christmas Eve, then watch a holiday movie and eat Granny's homemade caramel popcorn until bedtime."

"That sounds nice. I've never had that."

"It's the best."

In my mind, I pictured the living room. Granny had a couch, two loveseats, and two huge recliners. That should be enough room for everyone to spread out, but I'd still be within thirty feet of Briar, Sawyer, and Mother all night. Maybe Ruth Grace and her new hubby would distract her. They should be here soon.

"Is everything okay?" Nate scratched at the sawdust covering him. "You seem a little stressed for someone talking about candied popcorn."

"Yeah, it's fine." Only it wasn't, and Nate should be aware of what was happening. "I was in the garage getting something for Granny, and Sawyer came in and, I mean he stopped the boxes from squishing me, but why was he there? He was acting as though..."

Sawyer's expression when I told him I pretend he doesn't exist filled my mind. He was so upset. But what did he expect?

"Liv?"

"Hmm?"

Nate leaned his shoulder against the bathroom door frame. "You trailed off. What did Sawyer say?"

"He wanted to apologize for everything he did, like some words and a sad face a decade later could fix all the hurt he caused me."

"Damn. What did you do?"

I scoffed. "Nothing, because that's when Briar showed up acting extra Briar-ish. Thank goodness Dad wasn't far behind because she was in an aggressive mood. I thought I might actually have to fight a pregnant woman."

Nate's head fell back with a laugh. "Pregnant or not, I'd be careful. She's definitely the type to fight dirty."

"Is it awful that I wouldn't mind punching her in the mouth? Just once?"

"No. I wouldn't blame you, but you won't. It's not your style."

My lip curled, and I leaned back. "You're probably right."

"That's not a bad thing, Liv." He was quiet for a second. "I don't know everything that happened when you guys were younger, but I know Sawyer's a schmuck."