12 - She lied.

After twisting the top on the mascara, I tilted my face to check my makeup from every angle in the mirror. I couldn't find a problem, but Mother was likely to point one out.

Clothes rustled in the bathroom, and I knew Nate would be ready soon. I rushed to pull off my pajamas and slip my emerald green, velvet, thigh length dress on. The lantern sleeves and square neckline were flattering, and my hair fell over my shoulders in loose waves.

Overall, not bad. Even if Laurel would scoff at my shoe choice. Yes, I had heels, but I was wearing my comfy black ballet flats.

A knock sounded from the bathroom door. "Are you decent?"

"Yep. Come on in."

Nate stepped through the doorway, and I could've swooned from hotness overload. When I told him Christmas lunch was formal, I'd hoped for a button up or a nice sweater. Nate did way better than that. In black slacks, with a black shirt, and a deep burgundy blazer, he looked ready to play the sexy devil in a movie—people would line up for hell.

Grinning, he did a little spin. "I clean up okay, huh?"

"Stunning." If I hadn't already wedged him firmly into the friend section of my mind, I'd be a nervous mess.

"Thanks. Your turn." He twirled his finger in a circle, telling me to spin. I did, and he let out a low whistle. "Laurel wasn't lying. That shows off all your curves."

Pinching his mouth to the side, he squinted at me. "Not sure if it's the green, or the booty, or the combo, but it's giving Tinker Bell, and I'm here for it."

Cracking up, I shook my head. "You're crazy."

"Come on." He pulled his phone from his pocket. "Let's get some pics."

After taking several pictures of each other and a few together, we sent them to Laurel with a reminder that we wanted pictures from her too, then went downstairs.

Granny stood at the bottom of the steps in a red, loose-fitting sweater dress, and she clapped when she saw us. "Oh, you two are beautiful! Go out to the porch. I want the natural light first, then in front of the tree here, and then we'll eat."

Outside, the rest of the men leaned against the railing. Dad and Kiaan wore khakis with holiday themed sweater vests over button up shirts, Sawyer had olive slacks and a black sweater, but Joby was extra handsome in a dark gray suit with a red button up open at the collar.

Dad brightened. "Merry Christmas! You're beautiful, sweetheart." Everyone around him made sounds of agreement, including Sawyer, but as usual I pretended he wasn't there.

"Merry Christmas! Thanks, guys."

After the obligatory greetings and compliments, Nate steered me gently in Joby's direction at the other end of the wide porch. They nodded hello as the others picked up their football conversation.

"Where's everybody else?" I asked Joby.

He slid his cell into his pocket. "Mom and Ruth Grace are keeping warm in the sun." He pointed his chin, and I snickered when I spotted them. Joby smirked. "Not sure how you missed it."

Mother was in a conservative but feminine, flowy, cream-colored gown, but standing beside her, Ruth Grace wore a knee-length, silver sequin dress that reflected so much light it was hard to focus on. "Wow," I whispered.

Nate leaned closer. "She's a disco ball and I love it."

Joby chuckled. "We're only waiting on Briar. I'm sure she wanted to make an entrance."

I sighed and told Nate, "In true holiday spirit, she treats today like a competition. I usually try to discourage it and just wear cute work clothes, but this was a present from Laurel."