18 - You're the best fake boyfriend ever.

I froze at the sound of my brother's voice. Turning to my family at the table, I found Joby standing behind his chair. Nate's fingers went from resting supportively on my lower back to clutching my sweater in a nervous fist.

Joby studied the floor as he scratched his neck then peeked up at me. I gave him a nod and his eyes slid to Nate. Whatever he saw there was the push he needed. His hand fell to his side, and he faced our parents.

"What is it, son?" Dad asked Joby.

"As long as we're getting everything out in the open, I thought I'd take my turn."

Mother crossed her arms and scowled at the table, but Granny tilted her head toward Joby. "Well, go on, dear. We're listening."

"I'm gay." One corner of his mouth tipped up as though he'd shocked himself with the announcement, but he was pleased to hear it.

It wasn't exactly how I'd expected him to share the news, but his words were clear and to the point, no frills, no hiding. Nate tensed beside me, and when I glanced up, his wide-eyed focus was plastered to Joby.

Dad's brow furrowed. "What do you mean?"

"I mean I'm only interested in dating men."

"But..." Mother's crossed arms fell to her sides, limp. "What about Alexandria? You dated her for the last year."

"We actually broke up months ago, but it was easier to avoid being set up if I kept quiet. Also, Alex is a man because I date men."

This time Joby's grin went from ear to ear. He even seemed to stand taller as though a weight had lifted from his shoulders and I wanted to cheer for him, but he already knew he had my support. I wished our parents would say something. Instead, they sat there with their mouths hanging open like fly traps.

Granny, who'd been quietly observing, sighed. "After Briar's nonsense, I didn't think I could be more ashamed of this family, but here we are."

Oh, no. My stomach turned as the color drained from Joby's skin. No, no, no. I'd braced myself for a negative reaction from Mother, but not Granny. From the pained look on Joby, he'd done the same.

Nate released my sweater and took a half step forward, but stopped. This was Joby's life to handle however he wanted, it wasn't our place to interfere. But if he even glanced at me as though he wanted help, I'd pounce on any haters like a rabid raccoon.

A tear rolled down Granny's cheek. "It breaks my heart that we made the two of you feel the need to hide your lives from us." She swiveled in her seat. "Liv, I couldn't be more proud. If you never married, that wouldn't change anything."

Turning, she smiled at my brother. "And Joby, if you have a boyfriend, I wish you would've brought him. I'm not getting any younger and I want to know who my babies might spend their lives with."

Nate exhaled in relief and reached for my hand, giving it a happy little shake. Thank goodness, Granny. My heart swelled with gratitude that my high opinion of her remained untarnished.

Joby choked on a laugh and pinched the bridge of his nose as he squeezed his glassy eyes shut for a moment. "I'm not seeing anyone, Granny."

"Alright. Well, maybe next visit then." Granny shrugged.

"Umm, actually, since you brought it up." Joby brushed his fingers over his hair as his eyes crawled from Nate's boots all the way up, until their gazes locked. After running his teeth over his bottom lip with a touch of nerves, Joby asked, "Could I take you to dinner sometime next week?"

Nate smirked. "I'd love that."

Granny clapped. "Oh, that's wonderful!"

"This is ridiculous." Mother threw her napkin on her plate and stood. "Was anyone in this house telling me the truth?" Her lip quivered, and her nose turned red as she held back tears. "I don't even know you people."