25 - Happy New Year!

After a full day of hanging with my besties, I was dressed and waiting for Andre to pick me up. Nate drove Laurel home a couple of hours earlier so we could all get ready for the night.

Standing in front of the mirror, I checked my outfit from every angle and gave myself a little pep talk. Yes, the dress was tiny, but I was rocking it, and no nagging voice in my mind intruded with any negative opinions.

The champagne material had a slight sparkle and complimented my skin, which was nice since a bunch of it was exposed. I'd even twisted and piled my curls high, showing off the almost backless cut.

My four-inch heels matched the dress and made my legs seem extra long. It would thrill Laurel that I'd broken my flats-only rule, but this was for me, not her.

Stepping out of my comfort zone was good. Besides, we'd be drinking enough that my feet wouldn't hurt much.

A knock had me grabbing my clutch and racing for the foyer. I saw Andre last night and spoke to him throughout the day, but that did nothing to dampen my excitement at his arrival.

I opened the door and Andre's jaw dropped as he scanned me from head to toe. "Wow." He took my fingers and spun me around. "Jolivette, you look amazing."

My cheeks warmed both from his reaction and how hot he looked in all black. The tailored button-up followed his tapered torso so perfectly I had trouble pulling my stare from his body.

"Keep eyeing me like that, and we won't make it to the bar." He smirked and tugged me closer for a kiss that set my pulse racing. "Do you have a jacket?"

"Nah." I stepped outside and turned the key in the lock. "I don't have one that goes with this. Besides, we won't be in the weather much, anyway."

"If you change your mind, mine's in the truck."

I hugged his arm as we crossed the parking lot. "Thanks."

Twenty minutes later, we parked on the street a short walk from Elixir. Andre helped me from the truck, and as we strode to the bar, I held his bicep with one hand and texted with the other. "I told Joby we'd be there in just a minute."

My cell dinged with his instant reply. "He says they got a table. Laurel and Nate are dancing."

Andre snickered. "Did she steal your brother's date?"

"I don't know." I grinned up at him, but wondered if Joby was avoiding dancing so they wouldn't stand out. If he was serious about Nate, Joby needed to make some changes.

The thump of bass became clearer as we neared our destination, and I hoped it wouldn't be too crazy. We entered the building, showed our ID's, and Andre paid our cover before they allowed us far enough in to see the crowd of people ready to ring in the new year.

At the bar to the left, eight people worked to fill orders at a fevered pace. A DJ set up on the right had the dance floor packed, but Laurel was impossible to miss in her bright red dress. The muscular blond grinding behind her definitely wasn't Nate, and judging by Laurel's smile, she was fine with that.

"There they are." Andre spoke against my ear and pointed into the sea of people.

Joby and Nate were at a standing table along the back wall, too focused on each other to notice our arrival. I moved that way, cutting through the crowd with Andre's palm on my hip.

Nate saw us coming first and beamed. "Hey, babe!" He whistled and leaned to check out my dress before his gaze slid down to my shoes. "That dress is fantastic! Laurel's going to love the heels."

"Thank you! You guys both look great too." I reached over the table where Andre and Joby were already in conversation to poke my brother's shoulder and wave at him.