24 - Give him a minute to figure things out.

The truck rumbled to life, and music played softly through the speakers, but it wasn't loud enough to cover the sound of Laurel's quiet sniffling. I dug around in my purse searching for a tissue, until Andre pointed at the glove-box and whispered, "Napkins are in there."

"Thanks." I got one and passed it to her.

For the next several miles, the ride remained steeped in quiet tension. I hated that Laurel's first attempt at an actual relationship had gone so poorly, so fast. Andre took my hand, weaving our fingers together and rubbing his thumb over my wrist. The movement was comforting, but when I peeked over, his expression was tight.

He must've felt my attention because he gave me a wink. "It seems like you two could use some friend time. Why don't I drop you both off at Jolivette's?"

For a second, the warm feeling in my chest caused by the sound of my name in his voice distracted me, but Laurel said, "No! I don't want to ruin your evening."

I beamed at him. My sweet, thoughtful man. "Come on, it'll be great!" I peered at Laurel. "We haven't had a sleepover in years."

After some light coaxing, she agreed, and fifteen minutes later, Andre was letting us out at my apartment. I stretched over the console, pulling him closer for a kiss. "You're kinda perfect, you know?"

"Couldn't let you be sad." He spoke against my lips and kissed me once more. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"I'm looking forward to it."

I closed the truck door, and Laurel and I climbed the stairs to my apartment. She sighed. "Call him to come back. This is sweet, but I can't be the cock-blocking friend."

"You're not. Besides, ovaries before brovaries."

A small smile tugged at her mouth as we entered my apartment. I flicked lights on and  guided Laurel to my room, holding her arm. "Let's find something comfy to wear."

Laurel went through the motions as we changed into sweats and t-shirts, and took turns washing our makeup off at the sink. But she wasn't herself, and I was glad Andre made this happen.

She followed me as I retrieved a stack of blankets from the hall closet. "Let's make beds on the couches and pick out a movie. What do you think?"

"Okay."

"Hey! The new Magic Mike is coming out soon. Maybe we should rewatch the first two so we can remember all the important plot points." I wiggled my eyebrows at her and she nodded.

"It was an intricate storyline."

After dropping the covers on the coffee table, I went to the pantry. "Come on. We need junk food too."

"We just ate."

"Not chocolate."

Laurel hummed. "That's true."

I dug through the cabinets, finding absolutely nothing useful. Laurel reached over my shoulder and pulled a package off the shelf. "Not a single damn cookie in this place, but you have organic seaweed chips." She frowned at the offending snack before twisting her face in disappointment.

"Sorry. Healthy me has been doing the grocery order." I grimaced. "She's a real bummer."

"Does healthy you at least keep alcohol stocked?"

"Of course." I collected our glasses, but before we could pick out a bottle, the doorbell rang.

"Who's that?" Laurel asked.

I squinted toward the foyer and shook my head. "My x-ray vision isn't working. We'll have to find out the old-fashioned way."

"Okay, smart-ass." She snorted, and we padded to the foyer.