chapter 6

Cherry was pulled from her thoughts as she heard pounding noises. Pocahontas and John grew out of their daze. Pocahontas recognized it instantly.

"What is it?" John asked.

"The drums," Pocahontas replied, nervously. "They mean trouble. Cherry and I shouldn't be here!"

"I want to see you again." John told Pocahontas as she tried to leave with Cherry.

"We can't..." Pocahontas's voice cracked.

"Please, don't go."

"I'm sorry, I have to go, come on, Cherry."

The girls ran back into the forest to avoid getting in trouble. The girls ran into the canoe and Pocahontas rowed them away back into the village. It then started to rain and the girls made it back in time before they could get wet or concerned about.

When the girls came back, they were told to gather corn for meal time. Nakoma told Cherry how and what to do with the corn once she picked some in the field. Cherry learned quickly and did as told. Flit was looking around like an angry guard bird, though he was only a pest and not a threat. Pocahontas was worried about John Smith and wanted to see him again.

"Pocahontas," Chief Powhatan called to his daughter. "You should be inside the village."

"We'll be alright." Pocahontas assured him.

"This is tougher than Thanksgiving dinner preparations with Mom." Cherry panted as she got the corn to be gold and rich like the other Indians.

"Thanks-whatting?" Nakoma asked, curious.

"Ah, never mind." Cherry gave in. "What's this food for anyway?"

"Gathering food for when the warriors arrive."

Chief Powathan smiled at Pocahontas. Cherry smiled at him and then her. "She's very pretty, sir."

"I know," Chief Powhatan smiled. "When I see her wear that necklace, she looks just like her mother."

"When did it happen?" Cherry asked, solemnly.

"A long time ago, I don't like to think about it much, but Pocahontas's mother is still with us?"

"She is?"

"Oh, yes, whenever the wind moves through the trees, I feel her presence."

Cherry smiled.

"Our people looked for her for wisdom and strength," Chief Powhatan continued, smiling at Cherry. "Someday they will look to Pocahontas as well. You girls shouldn't be here alone, I'll send for Kocoum."

Cherry went back to the girls and Pocahontas looked very suspicious. Nakoma noticed it, though Cherry already knew why.

"Alright, what is it?" Nakoma demanded.

"What?" Pocahontas asked.

"You're hiding something."

"No she isn't." Cherry spoke abruptly.

"And now I know it involves you." Nakoma smirked at the younger girl.

"We're not hiding anything." Pocahontas told her.

"Guys, you can tell me," Nakoma smiled as there was rustling in the cornfields. "I promise I won't tell anyone."

After the rustling, John Smith can out, surprising and alarming Nakoma.

"Girls, look! It's one of them! I'm going to get-" Nakoma panicked, but Pocahontas put her hand over her mouth to shut her up.

"What are you doing here?" Pocahontas asked.