Chapter Seven

I suppressed my urge to dry heave at the smell, in other words I was dying from fumes. I can't believe he has to live in this, like this. I can't let him live like this.

Looking around made my mind up, I wanted him to stay with me.

"Are - are you okay?" Clark invaded my thoughts and all I could do was nod slightly to him as I took in my surroundings.

His couch was dirty and low to the ground, looking worn out, dirt evident on the cushions. That was the only thing in the living room facing the open kitchen. The tile floor looked old and well used, scuff marks all over. Dirty dishes lined the counter and filled the sink, the small two seater table cramped in the corner. A litter pan was cramped in the other corner and I watched as a cat entered it and looked away. That's just.. awkward to watch.

I didn't want to walk around, I could tell the smell of cat piss came from the stained rug I was stepping on. And as my thoughts escaped me I was brought back to reality from a small orange tabby cat rubbing against my leg.

"Hey there," I greeted as I squatted to pet the small animal, the fumes getting stronger. Yep, it was the rug. It was like cat pee and Febreeze.

"Would you like to see my room? It's not much, but it's there..?" Clark suggested as he twirled with his fingers and mumbled random things under his breath.

Clark being like this, even in these circumstances, made me feel happy. He was shy but sweet and I knew he wanted to share things with me but was too shy to say it out loud, but I was okay with whatever he wanted to do.

Clark grabbed my hand to drag me to his room and I went willingly, entering the small cramped room. His bed was a small twin size bed taking up half the room, the other small portion was a closet and then a small box of random things from the look of it. His bed was covered in cat hair and I chuckled as he sat down to pet a cat.

"So, how do you like my room?" his voice was nervous as he asked me this question. I smiled and came towards him, rifling his hair.

"It's okay." I want to tell him I didn't like it much but my answer seemed to light up his eyes and face. His eyes became bright as he giggled, but soon they darkened back to a dull blue as we heard the front door slam.

"CLARK!" I knew that voice, it had to be his father. His voice unsettled me and I felt a pit in my stomach as Clark pushed me towards his closet.

"Please hide, my dad is mad and he doesn't know I invited someone over. Please Tyee, just wait it out!" Clark was rushing me to hide and I objected, but when I heard footsteps getting close and his face paining me in my core to see it so stressed, I gave up. I hid in the closet like a good boyfriend and waited for everything to play out.

As soon as I was inside the closet I kept it open a crack and watched Clark's father burst through the room. His face was red and he looked aggravated, like he was going to kill someone. I watched as he grabbed the front of Clark's collar.

"Your school called me today, do you want to know what they said?" he asked in a growl and I frowned deeply. When Clark shook his head no his father shook his body menacingly. "They said you got in a fight for being gay. Is that what these bruises are from? Did your boyfriend get mad at you and hit you? Is that it? Look at me?"

Suddenly the sound of Mr Perry's hand hitting Clark's face echoed through the room and I growled. I didn't want to sit and watch this. I had to make myself known or else I will hate myself forever for not stepping in when this happened.