027. cartwheel

"cartwheel"
lucy dacus

" outgrew older sister's clothes again
won't admit you're growing tall and thin
you like your body pulling at the seams
you're not prepared for what the future brings
...
and i remember when you used to call
holed up in the closest in the hall
scared you wouldn't live to forty-five
the same age as your father when he died
...
what to say when there is not a word?
...
i felt my body crumple to the floor
betrayal like i'd never felt before
...
now there's only past and present day
i can't believe a word you say
the future isn't worth its weight in gold
the future is a benevolent black hole "

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆ 。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

season 3, episode 6
let the angels commit

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆ 。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

eleanor couldn't believe her eyes. standing across the catwalk was her sister.

what the hell was nancy doing in seattle? and why didn't she call first?

the younger shepherd girl ran to catch up to them. she seriously couldn't believe nancy was in seattle.

"um, hi? what are you doing here?" eleanor chuckled nervously.

"eleanor, it's so good to see you." nancy smiled, pulling the girl in for a hug.

"haha, yeah, but, um, what are you doing here?" she questioned, glancing over at derek as a means of screaming 'help me!'

"just visiting. i mean you two skip thanksgiving and christmas, and now derek is sleeping with an intern and getting a divorce. god knows what's going on with you." nancy said in the most judgemental way she possibly could. "i mean look at you, you look like a sickly, victorian child. i keep telling you, nora, you need to put some meat on those bones! you're never going to find a good man, walking around looking like a pencil." she said, pinching at eleanor's skin.

"nance, she looks fine." derek told the older shepherd sister. "you look fine, nellie, don't listen to her."

eleanor knew she meant well, but sometimes nancy could be a real bitch.

she took a deep breath in and out, "it was good to see you, nance." and walked away.

"jesus, nancy. you know she's always been insecure, way to add insult to injury." derek told her, walking off in the other direction.

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆ 。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

eleanor was working on charts in the room behind the nurse's station, but really, she was using it as an excuse to hide away from the world. it seemed like people and things from the past kept coming back and they were only ever making things worse.

"karev, you free?" mark asked.

"absolutely, sir." he answered.

"great. take this. i'm on hold with the dmv. some mix-up about switching my license and registration to seattle. take care of that for me?" mark told him, handing over his phone.