Masquarade

Elena sits at the edge of her bed. She doesn’t want to go to the party this night. She hates going to parties. She doesn’t know the people who coming to the party. Her parents would introduced her to some people, but they aren’t the type she would happily hang around with. They talk about things that she doesn’t understand, it’s the highly class talk. Elena always feels sophisticated when she’s with them. If it wasn’t for her parents, Elena won’t ever go to any party.

“Elena, are you ready?” call her mother from outside the room. Elena thinks maybe she would pretend to be sick so she can skip the party.

“Your father is waiting. Please come down if you are ready,” continue her mother. Elena realizes she can’t always use the same reason whenever there’s a party. Furthermore, her father has remind about how important the party tonight. That’s kind strange because he never does that before. He said the party will also be attending by a famous royal family. So it’s an honor for them to be in the party tonight. But Elena thinks, any party is the same for her, no matter whoever who’d come. 

“I’ll be right down, mother,” said Elena preventing continuous calling from her mother. Elena takes a deep breath and walk to the mirror. She’s checking her appearances. She looks beautiful wearing the brunette gown. Actually many male guests have been attracted with her, but Elena always refused their attention. Elena knows they don’t have pure feeling towards her. They all the same, they only look at Elena’s family background. And she believes the royal family at tonight’s party is also the same. Elena takes a deep breath again and then walks to the door.

“Don’t forget to wear your mask before we get in,” Elena looks at the mask on her hands. For the party, every guest must wear a mask.

“Why we must wear a mask? It’s odd,” said Elena.

“Elena, just do what you’ve been told,” told her mother looking fed up. Elena stills, she knows she doesn’t have the right to ask and say anything.

They finally arrived at the party. Many people have come and they all wearing a mask. Though it’s an odd way, but people seem to enjoy it. They talk without knowing each other’s faces. Elena quietly smiles seeing the situation. Usually people would be in a group and they will stick with them throughout the party. But, this time they don’t know which people they’ve been hanging around. It’s hard to recognize them from the mask since the masks are quite similar. The guests are blending, and it makes Elena surprises to see such thing can happen.

Elena stands still at the corner, her favorite place in every party. She doesn’t interest to talk with anyone at the party. Elena feels a bit relief; people can’t recognize her with the mask puts on, so she can be left alone. Elena starts to think that wearing the mask is a great idea.

Elena walks to the balcony as the music starts to play. Elena also doesn’t want to dance, so she’s looking for other place to be. Elena feels she’s being inside a fantasy world with masked people around her. Somehow she’s also feeling creepy, because she doesn’t know who the people might be. She even doesn’t recognize her parents.

Elena looks at the dark sky and takes a deep breath. The air is quite cold, but she feels fresher than being inside the room.  

“Why does the young lady being here alone?” ask a voice suddenly. Elena surprises. She looks around to see where the voice come from. She finds someone wearing a silver gold mask sitting at the corner of the balcony. His hair is white. His clothes are also in silver. He looks shining under the dark sky. Elena watches him carefully.

“Please don’t be afraid, I won’t do you any harm,” said the man. From his voice, Elena guesses the person in front of him is a young boy.

“Who are you?” ask Elena. The boy shifts his sit towards Elena. He smiles.