7

KEHLANI

"I know damn well you weren't talking about a literal basketball court." I raise my eyebrow as I look around the area.

We were definitely nowhere near my house or where I was raised. All the basketball courts i've played in had actual nets.

"I got one in my house in case you wanna go over there?" He winks as he bounces the ball.

"You so weird." I giggle, rolling my eyes.

He looks around the area twice before turning his eyes back to me.

"Come on, let's play son." He dribbles the ball whilst I walk over to him. I try to the steal the ball but he fake-shots then shoots a 3.

"All that but you still not in the NBA?" I laugh as he deadpans me.

"I wanted to be in the NBA too." He wipes fake ass tears and holds his chest dramatically.

"Damn what happened?" I burst out laughing and he gives me a small chuckle. I swear this nigga thinks laughing is illegal.

"Don't do that." He replies and I raise my hands up in defeat.

I snatch the ball off of him once he isn't paying attention.

"Come get the ball punk." I bounce the ball as he walks over to me. He tries to take it out of my hands but we fight over it for a few seconds. Finally, he takes it out of my hands.

"The fuck you so strong for?" He asks me and I flex my muscles.

"That ain't muscle that's fat." He shakes his head, leaving me with my mouth open.

"That's so rude." I roll my eyes and he shrugs.

He does a 360 dunk that's surprisingly very satisfying. I don't know how this man didn't make it in the league.

"I can do that too." I shrug, knowing I can't.

"Go ahead champ." He passes the ball to me. I attempt to mimick exactly what he did but I end up airballing which fuels his laughter.

"Get the fuck off the court bruh." He laughs harder as I mug him.

"I really don't like you." I roll my eyes yet I find myself being pulled nearer to him.

"You sure you don't like me?" He licks his lips as his hands wrap around my waist.

This nigga is really edible.

"Move from mee." I whine, trying to release from his grip but he doesn't budge.

"You want me to move 'Lani?" He says in a low, lustful voice. Many people have gave me this nickname but none sounds as good as his when it leaves their mouth.

I open my mouth to speak but i'm interrupted by a man's voice.

"Amir? Amir, I know that's you." The man chuckles, running over to Amir before they embrace in a hug.

They pull away from each other and smile brightly. Amir then turns to me, pulling me closer towards him.

"Darrel, this is Kehlani." Amir introduces and I wave shyly. I appreciated that he didn't give me a label just yet neither did he find it hard to introduced me.

"This your girl? She's beautiful, i'm happy for you man." Darrel chuckled before shaking my hand.

I look to Amir who doesn't respond at the thought, neither do I.

"How you doing Darrel?" He asks yet Darrel slightly frowns.

"I'm surviving man." He says deeper than expected. He looked stressed yet joyful at the same time.

"Let me get your number so I can keep ahold of you."

"I ain't got no phone man, Sierra must've been playing with it and she broke it." Darrel sighs.

"Alright look, you come with us and we go get you a phone and something to eat."

"Nah man i'm all good, I- I gotta get Sierra. You know Kee don't ever let me see her."

"Let's go get Sierra then." Amari insists which makes me smile inwardly.

"If you're okay with it." Darrel mumbles.

Amir turns to me and I nod, indicating i'm fine with it. He turns back to Darrel and he shrugs.

"Alright then, let's go." Amir daps Darrel up before picking up the basketball. We both walk over to the car. I insist that Darrel gets into the front passenger seat but he doesn't allow it.

I put my airpods in and drown in the music as the two of them talk. After 5 minutes we get to our destination. I'm guessing Amari was familiar with the area since he knew exactly where he was going.

Darrel thanks Amair once more before getting out of the car. "You want me to drop you home?" Amari turns to me.

"No, i'm okay."

"I don't know how long we're going to take so." He replies.

"I'm fine Amir," I reply and he nods. "How do you know him?"

"We went to school together." He looks out the window a few times.

"You didn't keep in contact after school?" I ask.

"Nah not really, we became adults and life got real." He shrugs before looking back outside once more.

"When's the last time you saw him?"

"3-4 years ago, when his daughter turned 2." He leans back in his seat. I couldn't believe how calmly he said it. I don't know if I could live without seeing Adora for more than a week.

I see a adorable little girl holding Darrel's hand as they walk out of the house. Darrel is smiling childishly, even more than his daughter.

He puts her in the car and straps up her seatbelt before getting in the car himself.

"Hey princess." Amir leans back to face her and Sierra waves shyly. It's the cutest thing ever.

"You remember me princess?" He asks her but she shakes her head and giggles.

"Whats the move?" Darrel asks Amir.

"We gonna get something to eat for my little princess, ain't we baby girl?" He tickles her with one hand as the other starts the car. It's the cutest thing ever.

"Darrel remember where we used to go everyday in. the summer?"

"Of course man." He replies.

"You wanna go over there?" He asks and Darrel nods.

"Then that's where we're going." He looks at me then back to the front of him.

I guess.