Chapter 23: The Forest

You spot smoke and smell a fire in the distance. Their camp must be set up near the middle of the forest. You hadn't been back here since the events with the female titan. You block the memories from your mind and set your sights on the smoke. You kick at the sides of your horse and drive into full gear. You count the down the seconds that pass. Three-hundred seconds until you see Levi. Sixty-seconds until you see Levi. Every breath you take is bringing you closer to home.

The bright flame of the fire comes into view. You see tents, but don't hear much chatter. You suspect everyone has gone off to bed. Knowing Levi, he'll be awake.

You see him and your heart pounds in your chest. He turns his head to see you and he smiles, although his brow furrows in concern. He knows you'd only be here if something was wrong.

You hop off your horse and sprint to him. He stands from the log he had been sitting on. He looks exhausted. You bet you do too. You throw your arms over his shoulders and melt into his body. He wraps you in his arms, but pulls away quicker than you would have liked.His eyes are wide, he gestures slightly with his head over to the blonde man sitting on the log. Zeke.

He smiles after watching the two of you, "That's one friendly messenger, Levi. And she's way out of your league."

"I'll ask you again dickhead, how well does your voice box grow back if I cut it out of you?" Levi growls at him.

He pulls you by your arm to a clearing away from Zeke. He turns you with his strong arms, so he can still see Zeke out of his peripheral. He takes both your hands in his and squeezes them.

"What's wrong?" He asks concerned, scanning your body for any sign of pain.

"Levi, so much has happened today since you were gone. Premier Zachly was assassinated in his office, we suspect it to be new scout recruits who we are now called Jaegerists. Eren escaped prison right before I left to come find you. He wants to see Zeke. Hange only told me your location. No one else knows, but I don't know how long we will be able to stay hidden from them."

Levi's face drops. The bags under his eyes tell you he hasn't slept in days. He probably doesn't trust anyone else to watch Zeke. You want to ease his pain and take care of him. You want to run your hands through his silky black hair while he falls asleep in your arms.

You stand in silence and let Levi process the information. "How are you?" He asks quietly, looking up into your eyes. You can't tell him now.

"I'm fine. Frazzled. Tired. Starving. You?" You ask him concerned.

"I haven't slept in days," he sighs. That answers that question. "I can fix one of your problems though, why don't we go grab a bite to eat. We still have plenty of rations left," Levi says taking your hand and leading you back towards the fire.

Levi finds you a bite to eat and you sit down on the log he had occupied before you came. You take a bite and immediately feel better. It's amazing what a little food can do.

"You really should try some of the wine," Zeke urges, handing you the bottle he had at his side.

You really could go for a drink, but you can't right now. Plus, you want to be alert with Levi. Danger could be coming any minute. "I'm fine," you say deadpan to Zeke.

"Come on! It's Marleyan! You ever had Marleyan wine?" He asks, a little too overzealous.

"Do his ears not work?" You ask annoyedly to Levi.

"This ones a firecracker!" Zeke laughs pointing to you, but staring at Levi. Levi glares at the man.

You take your last few bites and place your trash back in the ration case. You fiddle with the ring on your finger when you take a seat back on the log. You really need to just hold him. The thought of everything on top of what you need to tell him is sending you spiraling.