Chapter 3

Oliver

I can't stop thinking about Adelaide. Fuck, even just saying her name arouses me. I decide to leave class and go and see if I can find her.

I figure since it's almost lunch, the food court might be the best place to start.

I turn into the building and am instantly hit with her scent. I see her sitting alone at a table and I walk up behind her and lightly tap her on the shoulder.

She slowly turns around and a grimace shoots across her face. I scrunch my forehead and look at her with concern "are you ok?" I ask.

"Ya, I just tripped over a chair. Clumsy me," she says with an attempt at a chuckle.

"Mind if I have lunch with you?" I politely ask.

"Ya, sure. I'm just waiting for Emma, we always have lunch together," she blurts out.

She's so cute. Always stumbling over her words or blurting things out before it seems like her brain has had a chance to form a proper sentence. But I chuckle and pull out the chair next to her and sit down.

I decide if she is going to be my mate, which at this point I want very much, I should probably learn something about her. We spend the next little while asking each other basic questions. Name, age, those types of things.

Turns out that yesterday was her eighteenth birthday which explains a lot. It explains why it was the first time I noticed her scent, and why I am so god damn attracted to her. I figure she's going to start going through heat pretty soon and this is the bond trying to pull us together.

After twenty minutes, her friend Emma ends up showing up, and I politely excuse myself from her.

Adelaide

It was amazing talking to Oliver. I had butterflies in my stomach the entire time we talked, and just by being near him I could feel my ribs healing faster than they normally do.

After Emma showed up, and Oliver departed, she made me tell her everything. Turns out that he is twenty-one and the next-in-line Alpha of his pack. A freaking Alpha as my mate, what are the chances!

Since neither Emma nor I can remember all the stuff we learnt about mates and heat, ugh heat I hate the sound of that, we decide to do some research in the library during our spare this afternoon.

I quickly text Levi and tell him that I have to do research today and will be staying at the library and that Emma will drive me home after. My phone pings back and all I read is the word whatever.

***

Emma and I don't spend long at the library. Turns out it's pretty easy to find out information about mates and heat. Every wolf has one person that they are destined to be with, their mate. The attraction between two mates is electrifying. Everything from their scent being heightened, to the literal electric shocks that run through your body on contact with your mate.

All of these things are the universe's way of pulling together two wolves so they can shack up and make more wolf pups. Now, with that being said, it's not always as easy as Oliver and I had it, to find your mate. There is no guarantee that a person's mate will be from the same province, or even let alone the same country. Sometimes people can go years without finding their mates.

A female is only ready to mate when they turn eighteen. So you could know your mate your whole life, and then bam! When she turns eighteen everything would change and suddenly, she'd be your mate and you would have never known before.

A lot of males tend to go out travelling to other packs if they haven't found their mates by the time they are twenty-three, because chances are his mate isn't nearby then. The universe isn't sick and doesn't pair mates with a huge age gap, so they don't have to wait around forever. As it is, Oliver has had to wait for four years.

It doesn't happen often, because you are only ever given one mate, but a person can reject their mate. A rejection from your mate, or worse the death of your mate, can break a person. Because the mate bond is so intense, trying to get the two people together, it can feel like you're dying when it gets broken. For some weaker wolves, there are actual records of them dying when the bond brakes.

Now, as if we females needed more encouragement to find our mates, our body goes through a heat cycle. The heat cycle is kind of like a menstruation cycle that helps us to reproduce wolf pups. A female's body will literally heat up, making their scent stronger and more attractive to male wolves. The heat cycle starts shortly after she turns eighteen, and unlike the mate bond, it doesn't care who satisfies the urge. Heat is only fulfilled by sexual contact, ideally intercourse. 

Please vote and comment!