Chapter One

Y/N wanted to cry.

Her heart ached and her chest felt hollow, as if someone had carved something out of it. There was a lump forming in her throat and she bit her lip as she heard Vaemond speak a few words; words to which she was not being attentive.

Laena Velaryon wasn't her birth mother; her true mother died a few weeks after she was born. She did not know how- her father refused to speak of her; though a few rumours had reached her ears, suggesting that her kepa killed her mother, the lady Rhea Royce, in cold blood. Rumours that she did not believe one bit.

He'd married lady Laena of house Velaryon a few months after the death of Rhea and she had immediately stepped into the role of being the loving and protective person in Y/N's life, after her father of course. Y/N had been living at the Red keep all her life, growing up alongside the children of her uncle the king and his daughter Rhaenyra's sons. Out of all the children, she was the closest with the king's second son Aemond, who was the same age as the princess. Y/N was heartbroken when her father told her that she would be leaving Westeros, and along with it her darling Aemond, and instead would now be living in Pentos. Laena tried her best to cheer the girl up in their new home and gave her two sisters in the years that followed; Baela and Rhaena, twins.

Laena was one of the very few people Y/N held close to her heart and now she was gone.

Y/N wanted to cry, but the tears wouldn't fall.

After her coffin was lowered into the sea, everyone headed inside the castle and toward an open rooftop that overlooked the blue waters that crashed in waves along the white sandy beaches of Driftmark.

Y/N's half-sisters were crying and it annoyed her how there was very little she could do or say to provide any comfort. With a heavy sigh, she went and stood by one of the large torches when her grandmother Rhaenys came to speak. One of Rhaenyra's sons had come to stand next to the girl by the fire. She did not know which one it was but she guessed it might be the oldest, Jace. He had brown hair and she'd heard many rumours stating that the reason behind his and his brothers' appearance being so different from Targaryens was because he wasn't one at all. Still, she failed to see how that might prove he was a bastard when she herself had brunette hair, like her mother's with the exception of that one lock of pearlescent white, like her father's; that was on the left side and ran all the way to the back of her ear. The girl was thankful that Jace did not strike up a conversation and just let her grieve in silence.

The flames danced elegantly atop the coals and Y/N was so lost in her little daze that she almost missed the fact that another person had come to join them. It was only when she saw, out of her peripheral vision, the faint image of a green cloak swooshing as the other person turned to walk away that she snapped her gaze away from the fire and toward a boy with silvery white hair. Y/N's voice escaped her lips almost immediately, calling out his name before he could add to the distance between them both.

"Aemond"

He turned, seeing the princess walk around the large torch and toward him.

She looked very different and yet just the same. She was taller, maybe a touch taller than himself and her hair reached her elbows. He liked the way her platinum hair stood out amidst the dark brown locks; like the moon in the night sky. He'd almost let out a scoff earlier, when he saw her standing next to Jace- bastard, he thought. At first, when he heard the whispers of Rhaenyra's sons being illegitimate- their hair giving it away, he had a fleeting moment of doubt of Y/N's legitimacy as well until he remembered that apart from her lock of Targaryen white hair, she had yet another feature that Jace nor Luke had: her purple eyes, which made her more of a dragon than those Strong boys would ever be. In all honesty, he did not care about them possibly being illegitimate, he only hated them because they tormented him for not having a dragon at every chance they got.