Chapter Seven

Upon Y/N and Aemond's arrival back to the keep, the both of them were informed by Ser Criston of the King's desire to have the entire family dine together that very same evening.

Y/N, after returning to her assigned chambers, asked for one of the servants to draw her a bath. She reeked of dragon and did not wish to show up for supper smelling of old leather and sweat.

The place where the royal family bathed was a large room with a tiled pit, sunk a few feet into the ground that was filled to the brim with steaming-hot water. A tray with a number of bath oils was placed close to the pool-like bath with a few towels neatly folded next to it.

Y/N dismissed the servants, she never really ever asked for any assistance with stripping down for a bath. How lazy does one have to be that they require someone to undress them when they were perfectly capable of doing it themselves, she thought.

The princess picked a vile of Dianthus and lemon balm oil before she stepped into the hot waters. She hummed with contentment at the sensation of the heat of the water against her skin and she tilted her head back so that she could wash her long brown hair as well. She then began to scrub at her arms and behind her ears.

The sound of the doors creaking had the princess snap her eyes open and crane her neck toward the entrance only to lock gazes with Aemond who stood frozen and abashed.

Upon instinct, Y/N yelped, not expecting anyone to walk in on her and Aemond immediately turned around out of respect.

"Apologies" he quickly uttered, his back still facing her "I was to use the other bath but it seems to be occupied by my brother and none of the servants are posted outside either of the doors to mention this room was occupied.."

Y/N bit her lip to stifle the giggles that she was trying to fight back at his nervous rambling. The girl did not care much if Aemond saw her in this state; the body of a naked woman was obviously not a sight he was a stranger to, she guessed. Furthermore, she was rather amused by how he instantly turned into a nervous wreck as opposed to the stoic person he was ever since she'd met him.

"It's alright," she said with a smile, her eyes never leaving Aemond's tall and rigid frame "the other bath is occupied you say, I do not mind you bathing here"

"I shall await outside until you are dressed, princess" Aemond heaved a sigh, quite embarrassed about walking in on her during her bath.

"I meant with me" Y/N clarified with a smirk "I do not mind, besides you did just mention that there are no servants presently. Why waste time when there is already a perfectly hot bath at the ready?"

"I um.." Aemond cleared his throat and was happy he wasn't facing her for he was sure his face had turned as red as that dress Y/N had worn earlier "I do not think it would be appropriate for me to look upon you in such-"

"Will your gaze be indecent and lustful?" Y/N asked even though she knew it would be far from that. She knew Aemond was a rather respectful and honourable man, despite what the gossip surrounding him suggested.

"Of course not," the prince promptly responded "never"

"Then I find no reason for this to be an improper encounter. You may get into the bath with me" Y/N shrugged "If you are comfortable with it as well, that is. I do not wish to force you into something that leaves you feeling uneasy"

Aemond felt something flutter in his chest.

"I do not wish to force you into something that leaves you feeling uneasy"

Aemond recalled the events of his three and tenth name day when Aegon had dragged him out the castle and to the city, into a whorehouse. Aemond remembered how scared and uncomfortable he'd felt. Aegon had taken him there thinking Aemond would take as much liking toward it as he did, and in a way hoping to fill in the void of the lack of affection in their lives that Aegon felt through intimacy. Aemond, not wanting to be rude to his older brother who was doing it solely so that Aemond too might experience some form of affection- granted it was all a farce, just went along with him.