Chapter Four

When night came and supper was over and done with, Aegon visited Aemond's chamber's before he could make himself scarce and busy himself with his nightly endeavours into the city. Aegon and his younger brother had never been close as children but after the loss of Aemond's eye, the older boy had become a touch closer to him. They wouldn't say they were the best of friends; but they were brothers, bound by blood and they seemed to have developed a certain understanding of being there to aid the other if there ever was a need for it.

"Brother!" Aegon pushed opened the door and waltzed in, not bothering to knock. He'd formed quite a habit of doing this; It was a habit that Aemond found most annoying.

"I truly appreciate you knocking and awaiting my permission for you to enter" the younger boy nonchalantly spoke, not lifting his gaze from his book. Aemond was rather serious about his studies and was engrossed in penning down his thoughts about the histories of his ancestors to discuss with the maester during his next lesson.

"Our Y/N is back at court, and you are spending the evening with your nose stuck in these books instead of between her legs" Aegon plopped himself on the bed, avoiding the twisted look on Aemond's face as a reaction to his vulgarity "Tis not your face that makes you undesirable, it is your boring disposition"

Aemond heaved a sigh at his brother's subtle attempt at providing assurance that Aemond's condition did not contribute to him never being able to court someone. In all honesty, Aemond knew his appearance made him frightening, the cruel whispers and harsh rumours were not a secret to him; Yet, he did not argue with Aegon over it, he wasn't in the mood to do so.

"Don't you have some catching up to do in your lessons of High Valyrian?" Aemond raised a brow, maintaining his stoic expression. Aegon simply scoffed in response.

"That is not the matter of importance" he added "Helaena and I had supper along with Y/N, she mentioned your disinterest in her arrival"

"That is far from the truth" it was Aemond now who scoffed "I am rather pleased to be reacquainted with her"

"And how have you made it evident?"

"Pardon?"

"How have you shown her that you are joyous to have her back at your side?" Aegon repeated "from what I've heard, you barely uttered two words at a time. If this is how you think you are going to win over a lady, I'm afraid you will die alone like-"

"Win over? I'm not trying to compete with anyone for her hand" Aemond made a face, interrupting Aegon's rant.

"That's exactly what I'm saying brother, you aren't trying" Aegon face palmed "Do you want to be the bloke applauding with the rest of the crowds when she kisses her husband in the sept? No, exactly"

Aemond raised a brow when his brother did not even let him answer that question. The younger prince had never thought much about the prospect of marrying her because he felt it was an obvious occurrence. Aegon had taken Helaena as wife and Aemond would take Y/N. Even after the fight with Jace and Luke, he did not seem to have doubts about it; Who else would a dragon, like herself, take to husband? He had never taken any romantic interest toward her, it was simply his knowledge of what duties he would have to perform; including a marriage to the princess Y/N, who fortunately was also his close companion.

"I do not have to worry about it" Aemond once again turned toward his books, dipping his quill into the tiny glass pot of ink "though not formally announced, Y/N is going to be betrothed to me-"

"Is that why you are so negligent? Gods there is no guarantee of your betrothal to her. And we both know Y/N wishes to find a loving match, not some noble who is obligated to marry her" Aegon was disappointed that Aemond was taking this opportunity of her return to court for granted based on some baseless assumption.