Chapter Eleven

The day of the feast arrived and Aegon and Helaena too made themselves present at Dragonstone to celebrate; though Aegon was hoping for a betrothal of Y/N to Aemond and not Dalton Greyjoy.

What caught him further off guard was that his younger brother was now more fascinated and obsessed with Alys, someone who he barely acknowledged back at King's landing.

"I sure have missed out on a lot" Aegon raised a brow as he spoke. He was presently sitting in Aemond's assigned chambers, interrogating him on what caused such a sudden rift in between him and Y/N "you were so adamant on marrying her, and now I see you waltzing about with that servant girl"

"You will watch how you speak of my lady" Aemond sternly responded, his fists clenched and gaze dangerous "she is to be my wife someday"

"Your- what" Aegon hadn't had any wine since his arrival but he still felt as though he'd misheard his brother. Did he really just inform him that he intended to wed that low-born girl? Someone he barely even looked at his whole life "What happened to all your talks of Y/N being made for you by the gods? What happened to-"

"You were right, I was a fool to believe that she was mine" Aemond cut him off "I was only a boy then, stupid and naïve. But now I see what was in plain sight all along: Alys is my twin flame"

"Shut up, you sound as though you shat your brains out your arsehole" Aegon groaned, covering his face with his hands as though he was embarrassed to call Aemond his brother "you've never spoken more than two words to Alys your entire life and now suddenly you claim she's your soulmate? How does Y/N feel about this?"

"She seems to be quiet content with lord Greyjoy. And I will not pursue someone who I do not love"

Aegon felt as though he was going to have a stroke.

"What the fuck do you even know about love?" He yelled, catching Aemond off guard "you think this stupid courtship with Alys that you've been having for a few days is love? Not you flying out here to win a tourney for Y/N's hand?"

"Leave me" Aemond said with a soft hum and Aegon was in no mood to argue any further. He let out a frustrated sigh before leaving the room, making his way to his own assigned chambers that he shared with Helaena.

"Why is our brother not betrothed to Y/N?" Helaena asked as soon as Aegon closed the doors behind him "I just spoke to Baela and Rhaena and from what they've told me, he seems to be rather whipped for Alys, one of mother's handmaidens"

Aegon was a bit relieved to see that Helaena too found this situation odd and was even more content to know that she too wanted Aemond and Y/N to end up together. The both of them had been hiding behind this cloak of 'friendship' for far too long and this lie that they'd convinced themselves of, that they couldn't possibly be in love with each other was starting to take a horrible turn on their relationship so far.

"I can't make any sense of it either" Aegon sighed "something feels so off but I can't- I don't know what exactly happened"

"Perhaps I could ask her- Alys" Helaena crossed her arms. She always thought that Aemond and Y/N would wed, especially since her younger brother boasted it about it so often, always claiming Y/N to be his ever since he was a boy "I know Y/N never mentioned her desires to marry Aemond as much as he did but she most certainly did not have any opposition"

"Of course she didn't, she's been by his side ever since they were babes" the prince agreed to his wife's statement "did he manage to upset her again? He is rather horrible at communicating"

"That doesn't explain his sudden fancy with Alys" the girl added, puzzled "and the twins have told me that Y/N was courting Dalton only out of obligation, not because she intends to marry; so she most certainly hasn't changed her mind about Aemond, I think"