Chapter Twenty

Y/N never believed in ghosts, not even as a child. The idea of someone dying but then again, not really staying dead sounded so absurd. Like it was a mere lie adults told kids with the intent to incite fear.

Floating in mid air, walking through walls, it all sounded so silly and she offended questioned other children who fell for stories of the castle ghosts.

And yet here she was almost twenty years later, contradicting her own beliefs as she gazed with sheer astonishment and disbelief at someone who was claimed dead only a few days ago.

She refused to blink, move or even breath as if by doing any of the three the person drawing closer to her by the second, would disappear into thin air and Y/N wasn't sure what she was more afraid of: the possibility of a ghost advancing toward her or the permanent disappearance of said ghost.

"What is the matter, Y/N" the familiar voice addressed her as the person it belonged to offered her a playful smile, almost as if it was obvious what was going on in her head "you look like you've seen a ghost"

"Have I not?" She immediately responded, feeling her heart beat faster.

The princess made the bold decision of tearing her gaze away from him to look at Alicent, just to make sure that she wasn't the only one who was seeing this. She was fearful that the traumatic events of the last few days was starting to make her hallucinate but judging by Alicent's expression of disbelief, she let out a breath of relief. Y/N was half expecting to not the person again when she turned but to her contentment, that was not the case.

"Marry Daeron" the council's earlier statement was repeated by the one who had managed to take everyone's breath away with their mere presence "you lot seem to work quite fast, don't you? It has barely been two days since king Aegon's death and you've already begun scheming for who is to sit the throne after him"

Y/N wanted to walk closer and feel their touch, almost as if she still wasn't convinced that this was all real.

"Princess Y/N is already betrothed is she not?" It was a rhetorical question really and silence was all that was received as an answer "or do all of you hold absolutely no regard for the princess and the promise she has made to the man she is to take as her lord husband?"

"We-" Alicent began but was quickly cut off.

"I wasn't done talking to them. Y/N is my betrothed and she will marry me and me alone. Anyone who tries to tear us apart, will be met with the sword" he beamed as he eyed each and every member of the council, his gaze lingering on Otto "I do not jest"

"Aemond" Y/N called out, like she was merely confirming that it really was him. She needed it to be and if it wasn't, if this was nothing but a dream then she never wanted to awake from this slumber.

The prince turned to look at her upon hearing her call his name and with the shrill voice, it was obvious she was close to tears.

Aemond's hair was a bit shorter than what it was and Y/N noticed the eye patch he wore was a bit different from what he usually wore. He had a cut lip and she was sure if he took off his vest she would find more scars or bruises from his recent battle.

"Come" he simply said with his hand outstretched to her and she obliged, walking toward him and sliding her trembling hand into his.

"The princess and I will be wed, of course" he spoke once again to the council as he held Y/N possessively around the waist and close to his own frame "but after she has been coronated. I will not have her win her own right to the crown by performing an obligation of marriage that you seek to impose on her"