Chapter Five

As the small crowd of nobles present at court gathered in the throne room, both sides of the royal family too made themselves present.

Aemond was timely as always, accompanied by his mother and his grandfather who served as hand of the king. Rhaenyra and Daemon were already present with Jace and a very nervous Luke. Helaena arrived a few moments later, arm linked with Y/N's. Aegon too walked in right after them.

Alicent smiled at the young princess when their eyes met. She watched as Y/N exchanged warm smiles with both Helaena and Aegon before she went to stand with her own family without bothering to so much as look at Aemond. She turned and saw that even Aemond refused to look at her.

Odd.

"Did something happen between Y/n and Aemond?" Alicent leaned in and whispered to Helaena. The both of them had been close in spite being apart for years and now upon her return, they seemed so distant.

"They had a bit of an argument last night, from what Y/N told" Helaena answered "but I do not know regarding what, she refused to speak much about it"

"I see" the queen nodded. She would need to talk to Aemond about this. With the arrival of Rhaenyra to court, Alicent had hoped to propose a match between Aemond and Y/N, to ensure the safety of her sons lives once Rhaenyrs stepped into power. She hadn't discussed this with anyone yet apart from her father and husband, the king who seemed rather pleased with the idea.

With the King amiss, it was his hand, Otto, who was going to make the choice of who would inherit the Driftmark throne.

Rhaenyra along with Daemon, the boys and Y/N stood toward the left side from where Otto sat upon the throne while Alicent along with her children and Vaemond stood at the right.

Princess Rhaenys was standing exactly opposite the throne with Baela and Rhaena alongside her.

So far it seemed that the court was in favour of Vaemond and Luke was growing rather nervous about the whole situation. It just seemed so, one-sided.

He knew that denying his claim to the throne at Driftmark only weakened her mother's claim to the iron throne.

Vaemond spoke to all gathered of how he was of the same blood as Corlys, loosely implying that Rhaenyra's sons weren't. He went on about his argument until it was time for Rhaenyra to speak.

"If I am to grace this farce" she sighed, quiet obviously rather annoyed that this was even an issue when Luke was already named heir "I should like to start by reminding you all-"

The large doors of the court room were pushed open, the loud noise interrupting the princess as one of the guards announced the arrival of king Viserys.

The arrival of the King brought two starkly different reactions from his kin.

On one side, a sense of relief washed over. Y/N breathed out- content, knowing that all was not lost. She could see her mother's eyes widen with hope, a ghost of a smile dancing on her lips.

Meanwhile on her side of the room she'd noticed the utter disappointment and sudden concern that had begon to grow.

Aegon held back a sneer. He'd never hated his nephews. In fact, he got along with them far better than Aemond did. No, the thing that put him in a bad mood was his father practically getting up from his death bed to rush to the aid and defence of his daughter, again.

Where was this side of him when Aegon needed it?

"Father is here, yet again to defend his only child" Aegon scoffed under his breath to Aemond.