Chapter Eight

The large dining hall was well lit up and well decorated in the colours of gold and maroon. When Y/N arrived with the rest of her family, the greens were already present by the table yet none of them had taken their seats.

Y/N picked a spot next to Jace and right when Aemond spotted her walking toward the chair she intended to be seated in, he too walked in the same direction, pulling it out for her. Y/N smiled up at him and Aemond gave her a curt nod.

Aegon remained standing even when Helaena took her place; he left an empty spot next to Y/N for Aemond but the prince did not put two and two together and instead went and sat himself at the head of the table.

Aegon inwardly groaned as he face-palmed himself. "You are an absolute twat" Aegon leaned closer to Aemond as he muttered "I gave you a- you smell different" Aegon noticed the fragrance of the oils. Aemond was silent and Aegon just sighed before going to sit beside Y/N.

As the dinner progressed, and after toasts had been made; The king's to Jace and Luke's engagement, Helaena's to Baela and Rhaena's near marriage. Even Rhaenyra and Alicent had made toasts to one another, both of them laughing as they spoke amidst themselves later on. Y/N too, seemed to be in a lovely mood, joking around with her sisters and laughing at something Jace was ranting about.

Aemond's gaze was fixated on Y/N the entire time. He smiled ever so slightly when he saw her laugh yet again and remembered how it was he who used to be able to make her laugh like that. He almost scoffed when he saw Jace nudge her shoulder, Y/N still giggling along with him.

Aegon noticed his brother's annoyance with Jace and immediately decided to take matters into his hands and ruin Jace's evening. He stood up from his place to pour himself some wine from a jug that was near Baela.

"I regret the disappointment you are soon to suffer" he whispered into her ear, referring to Jace's lack of experience in bed "If you do ever wish to be satisfied, all you need to do is ask"

Jace slammed the table in rage just as Baela was about to hurl some rather indecent profanities at Aegon. Aemond immediately stood up from his chair, as if he were warning Jace that if he tried anything with Aegon, he would have to deal with him as well. Y/N turned toward her half-brother, curious as to what had upset him but Jace simply smiled and grabbed ahold of his chalice.

"I wish to raise my cup to prince Aegon and prince Aemond" Jace spoke through gritted teeth, still flashing a fake smile to mask his annoyance "I won't deny we've never gotten along well as children but I do have rather fond memories of our shared youth"

"Memories of you tormenting me?" Aemond sneered with a malicious grin "memories of Luke taking my ey-"

"I do hope that as men" Jace interrupted, not wanting for this peaceful dinner to go south "we might be friends or close allies. Let us put our past behind us and start afresh"

Y/N took a sip of her wine, eyeing Aemond from behind the rim of her glass and he too met her gaze.

For her sake, he mentally told himself as he sat down again, for her sake I will practice restraint.
"Let us have some music" the king clapped, thinking that at last, his lovely little family had come together as one.

Jace excused himself from Baela before he rose and walked toward Helaena, asking her for a dance. The older princess was rather happy to oblige and slid her hand into his. Luke asked Rhaena for a dance and Baela dragged her father along with her. Y/N knew Aemond did not like to dance so didn't bother pestering him. She instead went and seized the queen Alicent and her step-mother Rhaenyra by the arms and pulled them along with her.

"Boys?" Alicent called out "won't you come dance?"

Aemond politely declined so Aegon stood up, just so that one of them wouldn't be without a partner since it was an odd number of people.