Chapter Thirteen

Y/N had changed drastically in character in the days following the heart-wrenching events at the feast. She'd grown cold and closed off, barely ever seen around the castle if not with Dalton. Thankfully, she stopped skipping meals but began eating in her chambers instead of with her family. She couldn't bare to watch Aemond with someone else; it felt like a jab to an open wound.

Meanwhile Aemond was always seen strolling through the gardens with Alys who was usually giggling at something.

Y/N's step-siblings and cousins knew all about what had happened at the feast and they each felt rather despondent about her situation. Yet, only Helaena and Aegon were the ones who knew of the usage of the love potion, the rest, however, were unaware of it and thus harboured some sort of animosity toward Aemond. His whole life he had voiced his inclination toward marrying their Y/N and then all of a sudden, after years of giving her this sense of hope, he began to court someone else out of nowhere.

Daemon was surprised that his daughter agreed to marry Dalton despite her mentioning to him on several occasions that she did not wish to. That was why he never announced their betrothal since he never made the decision in the first place; when approached by the young lord, he simply told him that he had his blessing but he would have to ask Y/N himself if she wished to wed him. He would never force his daughter to do anything she didn't want to do.

Yet she had agreed to wed him, something that caught him by surprise. He had thought she simply said yes so as to not embarrass the lord amidst the vast sea of nobles present that evening but Y/N seemed to be quite firm in her decision to marry; she had even agreed on the day of the marriage which wasn't too far off.

Helaena wanted to tell Y/N what she knew about Alys but first, she wished to discuss this with the others. The princess had invited the twins, Jace, Luke, Aegon and her own mother to one of the studies in the castle that she found no one to be using.

Jace and Luke did not know why they had been summoned and instantly exchanged sceptical glances when they found Aegon sitting by the fire, his gaze fixated on the flames.

"What's he doing here" Luke asked, referring to Aegon as he walked after his brother into the room. Baela and Rhaena were already present, as were Alicent and Helaena.

"I could ask the very same question" Aegon snapped as he stood up, walking toward Luke but Jace stepped in between them.

"Boys, please" Alicent raised her voice sternly, immediately putting a halt to their antics "Helaena has asked for us to meet so that he might discuss something of importance, let us focus on the matter at hand"

"Thankyou mother" the princess smiled appreciatively before she turned to look at each on present "I know that almost none of us here get along too well but for the sake of Y/N, who we all love dearly, I ask that you all put your differences aside to help bring her and Aemond find their way back-"

"Are you perhaps suggesting that we should help her and Aemond get close again?" Baela raised a brow. It was no secret that she did not like Aemond one bit "you think I wish to further torment my sister by pushing her toward the man who has left her in such a broken state?"

"I can scarcely recognise her" Jace added. Even though him and Y/N had a bit of a falling out recently, he still loved her and didn't wish any of this heartache upon her. His crown being passed on to her was his mother's decision and after his conversation with the twins, he came to a realisation that Y/N couldn't be blamed nor accused of stealing that from him "I will not help you with something that might push her deeper into this sorrow"

"Y/N deserves to be happy and seeing as how Aemond seems more fond of his new lady, he most certainly isn't the man who will grant her that happiness" Luke sighed, remembering how he was the one who had urged Y/N to let her guard down and confess to Aemon "I was a fool to encourage her to open up. Look what ended up happening, she is more distant than ever"