Pitstops

The cosmos flowers were beautiful to watch as they dangled gently alongside the road. The fields were a golden yellow almost the same colour as the beaches in Fiji and the boabab trees had the strangest shapes.

"There is a Zebra," Lorenzo said.

I watched it run and enjoy the freedom it had was evoking feelings of when I was out in the ocean.

"Wow, ah no he went and hid behind the bushes." I said.

"Don't worry you will see plenty more animals, your Aunty has a very special game reserve. So how is it possible that you Capie have never seen the big five?"

"Hey easy now, I have seen them on the t.v and surfing is a full time job, it's go, go, go. I guess after my parents were murderd I just engulfed myself in the sport, it's all I had."

"I am sorry to hear that," Lorenzo said gently.

"Do you know what the freighting thing is? For the last few months I have been receiving threatening letters and I wouldn't be surprised if that other cop is involved."

"I wouldn't be surprise, in this country you never know if you can really trust the police."

"True."

"So how long until we get there?"

"Well we got to stop at the next garage and pass through some mountains, it's a scenic drive, once we pass through we are practically there".

"Wake me up when we are near the garage, I need to use the bathroom."

"Sure, rest up."

The nightmare started like normal, I heard my parents whispering. The dogs are barking and somebody is out messing with our fence. My stomach feels like it is hollow, anxious butterflies flaps around. I can't breath, I am scared to death. I hear my parents sneak out. They unlock the safety gate. There is an eerie quietness for a few minutes.

"BANG, BANG!"

I sit up in my bed and scream at the top of my lungs, my instincts tell me to get up and press the panic button. I press it, hide under my bed and hold my breath as the intruders rampage through our house. They bust into my dad's office and I hear papers crunch. They kick my door open and then sirens fill the air, tears of relief roll down my face, they are gone. I hold my knees into my chest as I shiver from fear. "Yes come in there has been a homicide."

"UHH,"my breath sounds as I wake up.

"Hey Dez, it was just a dream," Lorenzo said calmly.

I remain quiet and stare into the distance, a tear stroll down my face and I wipe it off. 

"How did you become a secret agent, detective or whatever you are."

He drives next to the petrol and the attendant fills up the car.

"That is a long story," he said.

I abruptly swing the door open and smash it shut making my way to the bathroom. I splash my face with some water hoping it will cool my temperature. I slip my hand into the secret pocket in my jumper and head to the tuck shop.