The Game Reserve

Everyone who worked on the game farm was standing to greet us and Aunty Robin-Leeann had a smile that stuck behind her ears.

I ran to her and gave her a long hug. "Jacinta, can you put on the kettle," Robin-Leaann asked the maid.

"Sure mam."

"Everyone tonight we will have a potjie after work to celebrate the arrival of my niece and I want to introduce you all to her," she said to all the people who worked for her. They presumed their work but there was a buzz of excitement.

"Thanks for bringing her home safely Lorenzo." Aunty Robin-Leaann said.

After delicious scones with fig jam Jacinta showed me my room.

It was bush colours and had a ambient vibe, my bathroom had the perfect view and faced toward the west. To my surprise the ceiling was also thick glass letting in the warm sun right by the comfortable looking rocking chair.

I packed everything out which wasn't much and saw a cloud of dust forming behind Lorenzo's bakkie.

Aunty Robin Leann bursted in. "Jacinta can you help me dress her wound, we got to keep it clean."

"Yes Miss, I will get honey and gauze I have treated gunshot wounds before."

It wasn't long before they dressed the wound with some of the ointment Loren gave alongside the honey.

It stung when they opened it up and I fought back tears.

"Oh Dez, rest up," my aunty said as they closed the bandaids up.

"I will look after you," Jacinta said as she placed a protea next to my bedside.

I smiled at her. She took a seat on the rocking chair and knitted quietly, as she looked up at me every now and again. I took a long nap and when I woke up I was drenched in sweat, my forehead was hot and my muscles ached.

At once Jacinta supplied me with antibiotics and a sweet syrup.

"You must stay in the bed, I will tell miss that we must rather have the potjie tomorrow night" she said. I responded with a nod whilst my body quivered.

"Jacinta, do you know where Lorenzo went?"

"He is on the tractor, gathering wood for tonight."

"Has he worked here for long."

"Yes, we found him beaten up three years ago, his family was attacked on another farm, he had a gun shot wound in his shoulder."

Tears drizzled from my eyes but Jacinta wiped them off.

"Rest, I will put on this gentle music for you."

The music helped me to unwind and I slept through the night.