Protection From A Mate

Harry awoke, in the warmth of his lovers embrace. He ached a little but remembered nothing from the day prior. He shifted slightly to face the taller male, who in turn, tightened his arms. This drew a smile from the neko as he felt safe from the action. Draco's eyes opened after a moment and looked into Harry's with a bit of worry. He wasn't sure how Harry would be the day after an attack, so decided to tread carefully with his approach.
"How are you feeling Raven?" Draco asked the small male in his arms. Harry's brows only furrowed at the concern etched into the veelas voice.
"I'm feeling fine, why wouldn't I be?" Draco only startled at the response.
"You don't remember?" At the shake of Harry's head, he decided to continue, so he wouldn't find out the hard way.
"Yesterday, an article came out in The Daily Prophet, and it was particularly bad. You reacted rather as expected to what was written. I'm not to sure on the details but Myrtle found you in her bathroom and..." Draco couldn't continue as he still felt like he failed his lover. Luckily, he didn't need to.
"I remember now. I'm so sorry. I lost it. I should have came to you but I ran. I'm sorry." Harry was in tears. Draco only held him closer, feeling guilty.
"It's my fault love. I should have protected you. I couldn't find you when it was my job to do so, and for that, I am so sorry. You deserve better." A tear slipped down Draco's cheek.
"My dragon. You would never fail me. I ran far and ignored my neko instincts. I should have came to you. All you have to do now is hold me close as you are doing already, making me feel safe and loved." Draco smiled and held him closer.
"I'll make breakfast, OK Raven?" Harry nodded and sat up slowly, bones filled with exhaustion. Draco followed suit but never ceased contact with Harry, whether it be a pinky or his knee. They left the room together, hand in hand, to find a worried Pansy and Blaise sat in the common room, cuddled on the couch.

Pansy shot to her feet at seeing the duo leave their room, almost knocking Blaise to the floor in shock. Harry stifled a giggle as Pansy engulfed him into her arms.
"Are you OK honey? Want me to beat ass? We can make sure that no one else does this again. I just need blackmail..." She trailed off at the end but then Harry remembered something.
"Pansy, you want to hold something against Skeeter right? I have just the thing but I will need help. Maybe tomorrow though. I need today to stay calm." Pansy nodded and walked over to Blaise and apologised. Draco brought Harry over to the kitchen to make breakfast, still refusing to let go. The made breakfast together and served it to the others, not wanting to be in the great hall just yet. Breakfast passed quickly and the group got ready for the day, Harry and Draco's arms and legs brushing constantly. They left their dorm and found themselves face to face with Sev and Minnie.

"How are you feeling today Harry." Minnie's face was full of worry lines. Sev looked just as worried, even trying to hide it. Harry nodded and ran into Minnie's open arms, squeezing her into a hug.
"And where's mine?" Sev finally spoke. Harry laughed and flung himself into Sev's waiting embrace. Still confused on this odd friendship, Draco shrugged his shoulders. Mate away from his touch for long enough, he got fidgety and wanted to pull his raven back towards himself. Sev noticed and gave Harry one last squeeze before whispering in his ear to go back to the angsty veela, that looked ready to tare him away.
"Sorry Dragon. Wanted hugs from my favourite mentors." Harry looked at the blonde innocently.
"That's lovely Raven but are mine not enough?" Draco gave a fake pout and Harry lightly punched his arm in response, quickly giving him the hug he wanted.

First lesson arrived slowly. People where staring and muttering things Harry couldn't quite decider. He was getting uncomfortable. During first lesson, the stares decreased and the muttering stopped but Harry was still tense and Draco could feel that. He snaked his hand into Harry's, noting that a touch from his leg wasn't enough, and squeazed it gently in hopes to calm the small neko. And it did for a little but but as the lesson came to a close, the muttering started again. Draco covered Harry as much as he could with his body on the way to second lesson in an attempt to shield him from the world. With a simple growl, everyone shut up and looked away, fear of angering a dominant veela protecting his mate. They sat in the back of their classroom, where it was quiet and private. But the stares never stopped. Harry was increasingly getting more and more uncomfortable and was no longer reacting to Draco's touches of reassurance.
"May we be excused for the day professor? I'm afraid the student body have no self respect and are making my mate uncomfortable with the constant glances and hushed conversations." Draco spoke loud and confidently and the whole class looked away, shame blushing on their faces.
"Of course Mr Malfoy. Take all the time you need." The reply wasv enoygh for draco and he quickly left the room, holding Harry close, only leaving behind a small note on top of Pansy's book.

They relaxed in the library for the rest of the day and while Harry was searching for a new book to read, he came across one that particularly peaked his interests. 'Mates And The Mated.' He was confused. Mated? What did that mean? He started reading. Chapter 1: Finding your mate. Chapter 2: Mating. Chapter 3: Difference between mates and the mated. Chapter 4: Reasons why you and your mate may not have mated. Harry didn't want to read on. The book mentioned disloyalty and overprotectiveness. It mentioned past conflicts and how they may affect a mates affection. And finally it specified veelas. A veela can loose interest in their current mate if not mated and try to seek a new one, though non succeed. To say Harry was hurt was an understatement, so he drooped the book and ran from the library in tears, locking himself in his room.