Piano Duet

Kaz slowly open his sleepy eyes. He hears the knocking on the door. He slowly reaches out for his cell phone to look at the time. It’s 5 am in the morning. Who might be knocking at his door so early in the morning? Kaz pushes himself to get up and walk to the door. The knocking still continues. Kaz snoop out through the hole and quickly surprised to see the person standing in front of his door.

“hyde-san?” he asks as opening the door. hyde smiles and raise his hand to Kaz.

“Morning,” said hyde.

“Morning, what are you doing here?” ask Kaz confused.

“May I go in first? It’s freezing out here,” said hyde. It is freezing. The only reason why Kaz doesn’t feel it because he’s too surprised to see hyde.

“Yes, sure, come in,” Kaz moves aside so hyde can walk in. hyde puts off his long coat, gloves, sleeves, hat, black eye glasses, and put all of it at Kaz’ sofa. hyde takes a sit.

“Sorry to bother you early in the morning. Are you still sleeping?” ask hyde.

“That’s alright. I’m surprised to see you here. What make you come so early?” ask Kaz still standing.

“I need to talk about something with you,” said hyde. Kaz stills listening.

“Let’s start VAMPS again,” Kaz’s eyes quickly rounded.

“But aren’t you in the middle of a tour?” ask Kaz.

“It will be over soon, and we decide to do our solo project again,” said hyde. Kaz stuns.

“Wow, you guys are great. You just won’t stop doing something,” said Kaz. hyde sniffs a little. From the reaction Kaz knows that there’s something wrong with hyde.

“Something wrong hyde-san?” ask him. hyde shakes his head slowly.

“No, nothing wrong, it’s just…” hyde talks but his eyes look empty and sad.

“May I sleep for a while? I’m tired,” said hyde. Kaz stills again. It seems hyde is hiding something. Kaz actually want to ask the reason of the solo project, but he hold it since hyde seems doesn’t want to talk about it.

“Ah, yes, you may. Just use my bed inside,” said Kaz.

“No, I’ll be fine here,” hyde pats the arm’s sofa and prepare to lay down.

“But, it’s cold here,”

“That’s okay; I don’t want to bother you further more. It’s enough here,” hyde smiles as he lay down.

“I’ll get you some pillows and blanket,” said Kaz walking to his room.

“Sorry for bothering you,” said hyde. Kaz then returns with pillows and blanket but hyde has already falling to sleep. He looks tired indeed. Kaz covers the blanket over hyde’s body and put the pillows at his right and left side. Then Kaz quietly take his coat and go outside the apartment. Kaz lights a cigarette and open his cell phone. He pushes a number that he never dials before.  Kaz blows a smoke as he waits the caller pick up the call. After few minutes waiting finally it gets answer.

...

“Hello?” ask the call receiver.

“Hello, tetsuya-san? This is Kaz,” said Kaz.

“Kaz?” tetsuya’s voice sound confused.

“Yes, Kaz. Sorry to bother you so early,”

“No, it’s okay. I’m not sleeping anyway,”

“I want to talk with you about something. Hope you won’t mind,” said Kaz.

“Is it about hyde? He’s at your place?” ask tetsuya straight to the point.

“Yes, he is. Do you know?”

“I’ve guess he would go to your place,”

“Why is that?”

“Since he doesn’t want to meet anyone of us at the moment, especially me,” said tetsuya.

“I’m not intent to walk into your business,”

“Does hyde say something to you?”

“Well, he asked to start VAMPS again,” told Kaz.

“Does he?”

“Yes, which is kind of strange because you are already busy with the world tour, then why in the sudden he wants to get work with VAMPS?”

“The tour will be over soon,”

“Yes, hyde-san has mentioned it. And he also said that you will get back to your solo projects,”

“Yes,”

“Help me out, please?” ask Kaz feels a bit irritated with tetsuya’s lacking of answer.

“Help you with what?” ask tetsuya. Kaz stills. He’s thinking does tetsuya really doesn’t understand or is he just pretending? Kaz can hear tetsuya taking a sigh.

“Can I ask you a favor?” ask tetsuya.

“Please be with hyde for a while. Please stay with him, at his side,” said tetsuya.

“Eh???” Kaz surprises with the request.

“I can’t be with him, at least not for now. Until things been settled out, please take care of hyde. Will you do it, Kaz?” ask tetsuya. Kaz stills. tetsuya is just doing the same with hyde. They aren’t going to tell him anything, just like what happen all this time. Kaz curses himself for interfering. But he has done it and it won’t be the first time too. Kaz blows a sigh.

“Okay, I’ll do my best,” said Kaz.

“Thank you, Kaz-kun. Sorry for troubling you,” said tetsuya. Though they aren’t talking face to face, but Kaz can sense that tetsuya is smiling.

“Don’t mention it, bye,” Kaz hangs up the phone. He blows a smoke and look at the cloudy sky. The sky is cloudy but he can also sense the spring in the air. The flowers are start to blooming. Kaz tighten up his long coat and go back to the apartment.

“Kaz? Where have you been?” ask hyde sitting at the sofa.

“You’re awake?” ask Kaz.

“Actually I can’t sleep,” Kaz looks at hyde and remembering tetsuya’s words.

“Let’s do it,” said Kaz. hyde looks at him.

“Let’s get back together with VAMPS,”

“Are you sure?”

“Positively,” Kaz smiles. hyde is also smiling.

“Thank you, Kaz,”

“Now for a starter, what about go out and have a warm breakfast? I don’t have any food at the freezer,”

“That’s sound good. Let’s go!” said hyde enthusiastic. Kaz sniffs. He watches hyde puts on his things again. hyde looks so excited like a young boy. Kaz picks up the car key and walk in front of hyde.

“I’ll take care of him, just like always,” said Kaz. 

...