are we out of the woods?

"Violet, are you listening?" Tobias asks, snapping me out of my thoughts.I shake my head slightly and my eyes fall onto the kitchen floor.

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" I ask as my eyes remain glued staring at the floor.I twist the rings around on my fingers trying to soothe my shaky hands.

"I was telling you and Leo that dad wants you home tonight by 11, Derek will drop and pick you guys up" Tobias orders while holding a mug of coffee in his hand.

"Why didn't Dad tell us himself?" Leo remarks as he slides his phone into his pocket.

"Leo" Tobias warns "Father and I have a lot of work we need to... sort out" Tobias pauses for a moment while checking the time on his wrist watch. "Alright i have to go, be safe tonight both of you" Tobias states while planting a kiss on the crown of my head,i smile softly at the loving gesture as i fight back the instinct to flinch.

Tobias hurries out the kitchen and as he does i notice the gun tucked into the waistband of his black suit pants,i narrow my eyes as i purse my lips slightly.Clearly they have something very important to "sort out" i think to myself.

"Shot" I hear Leo's voice echoes in the room, his voice sounds so close but yet so far away.

"What?" I question, furrowing my brows as I twist around on my seat to face him.

"I said do you think you'll do a shot tonight?" he repeats with a small smile across his lips.

"Yeah I mean I guess so, are you?" I ask softly,trying to not let the apathetic tone of my voice sound too harsh.I moved the spoon around in my bowl of cereal as I leaned my elbow on the counter top.

"What's up Vi?" Leo asks, causing me to furrow my brows. "I mean you just seem really distant, like you aren't really here"

I sigh loudly as I rub my thumb along my forehead. "I don't know Leo, i just- i can't describe it but i feel like something bad is going to happen '' my voice begins to grow quiet.

"Are you worried about tonight? You know you don't have to go if you don't want to" Leos voice sounds convincing, almost as if he is trying to convince me of something.

"No it's not that, i want to go- I'm just tired that's all" i state with a weak smile pushing the bowl of cereal away.Leo furrows his brows as if unconvinced.

"Well i won't let you out of my sight Vi, don't worry.Nothing bad will happen. I promise" He assures as he lightly squeezes my shoulder. I smiled back at him weakly, trying to let his reassuring voice convince me too but even his words could not fill the consuming worry that was plaguing my mind.

"So what time does the party start?" I meekly ask as I pull eyes away from staring out the cafe's window.Most the day I had been silent, my eyes glossing over as i stare into the distance while my hands were shaky.The unnerving feeling i had from the morning had not faded rather intensified as i noticed just how on edge and jumpy i felt. My gaze falls on Bec whose red hair is put into a neat braid today.She puts the slice of pizza back on the plate as Tommy tries to reach over and grab it, Bec slaps his hand away.

"Well i was thinking like 8, Mia and i are gonna set up straight after school and Tommy you gotta help Andres-" Bec continues.

"Oh yeah uh gotta help him with some family stuff" Tommy stumbles over his words. "We'll be there around 9"

"Does Andres know Leo is gonna be there?" I softly question.

"No he doesn't he will lose his shit, but i'm sure it will be fine" Tommy half heartedly assures as he takes a bite from his sandwich.

I lift the sandwich from my plate and take a small bite feeling the nausea grow inside of me, the pit of my stomach feels uneasy making me unable to eat without feeling sick. I put the rest of the sandwich back on the plate and push it slightly away from me, unable to look at it any longer.