target

Violets POV

The darkness of the night sky concealed me as I walked down the desolate alleyway. Rain rolled down my shoulders as my hair became drenched. I paused for a moment as I looked up to the night sky, not a single star twinkled in the vast abyss. I continued walking; my finger tips intuitively danced along the outline of my knife. Its sheer presence comforts my heavy soul unlike anything else.

I had grown familiar with the silence, accustomed to the lonely pits my soul now only knew but even in these moments my mind couldn't help but wander and it always fell onto him.

And I hated myself for every moment I spent thinking of him; I wondered if I hated myself for the fact I thought of him or the fact I missed him. I hated the way my hands still reached for him and the way I yearned for his touch, I hated that despite how much I hate him I can't help but miss him.

I let out a shaky breath as I squeezed my eyes shut and kept walking through the narrow alleyways. I needed to take my mind off it all, I needed to soothe my mind which would not stop racing. I needed to soothe my teeming mind the only way I knew how.

"Back again Anna? Weren't you training this morning?" Lev asked as I walked into the gym, my duffle bag slung over my shoulder.

"What can I say? Punching things relaxes me" I answered as Lev chuckled. Over the past few months Lev was there to help me train. He was an older man around 50 years old with dark black hair shades of grey littered throughout his hair. When you looked at him at surface level you would see a man with no fears, no worries but the dark lines etched under his eyes told another story; the story of a man who lost everything.

"You know most people would think you must be heartbroken," Lev remarked, his British accent becoming more prominent.

"I would be surprised if I had a heart" I retorted as I placed my duffle bag on the gym ground.

Lev swung and I dodged it, in one swift motion I pulled my knife from my pocket and lightly pressed it against his neck. Lev smiled proudly as I lowered the knife.

"I trained you well huh?" he commented. The smile remained on his lips.

"What do you always say? "If you can capture the element of surprise you'll always be five steps ahead" I replied as I slid the knife back into my pocket.

"Okay let's practise some hand to hand conflict" Lev said.

"Left step, swing" Lev repeated as I punched into the palm of his hand.

"Block, left step swing" Lev repeated as I blocked his incoming attack.

"Because you are so small, you can't rely on your weight to get your target on their asses; you need to go for a pressure point" Lev announced.

"I'm not small" I grumbled.

"You have to target them below their centre of gravity, like behind the knees" Lev said as I nodded my head.

Lev went in for a swift attack, I blocked his hand and I swung as he recovered from the miss. He narrowly dodged it causing me to stumble behind him. I saw my opportunity and in one motion kicked behind his knee causing him to fall to his knees.

"That was good" He replied as he took a deep breath, "but put your whole weight into the kick" he commented. His gaze darted to the upper left corner of the room, to the camera attached in the corner which blinked a bright red colour, his gaze quickly averted back over to me.

Lev reached his hand out in defeat as I walked over to help him off the ground. In one swift motion he got to his feet and wrapped his arm around my neck as I began trying to escape from his grasp.