the text

MALIKS POV
I smiled softly as i listened to her heart beat, the soft pitter patter in sync with the beat of my own.I brushed a piece of her hair behind her ear as my gaze remained on her face, her beautiful face never failed to bring a smile to my face.For a moment i forgot the horrors she had faced, the horrors she keeps trying to outrun. Instead for a moment I allowed myself the privilege of delusion that she was never harmed.But I couldn't live in that delusion..at least not forever

Her cheeks were rosy with tear stains and the hallows of her eyes sunken in reminding me of how I failed her. A fresh scar plagued her forehead and a darkened bruise laid against the side of her face; my heart sunk in my chest, my jaw clenching as the reality of it continued to set in pulling me into reality. It felt  like I was young again, like I was that same helpless 10 year old that noticed  bruises on her for the first  time except now I was older and now I could actually protect her.And I'd do anything and everything to protect her.

My jaw unclenched as I focused on her breathing, her chest rising and falling with every soft breath.Her nose scrunched up as she nuzzled herself closer against my chest, my arms instinctively wrapping around her pulling her small figure even closer to me.For the last two years i have spent everyday dreaming of when i'd get to hold her again, when i'd get to  feel her in my arms as i listened to her heartbeat and now that i am in that very dream; i never want it to be over, i want to stay in this moment forever.

The silence  that once filled the room was now gone as loud heavy footsteps echoed from outside followed by chatter which was too quiet for me to understand, the footsteps faded away as I closed my eyes hoping I could rest finally knowing Violet was okay.

"What the fuck?" Nico yelled as he burst through her door, so violently the door hit the wall with a crash.Violet shot up from my chest as she scrambled to her feet, still half asleep but scared as her hands shook violently. I leaped up from the bed now in front of Nico as he stared daggers at me, he looked like he was about to punch me but our attention changed as Violet whimpered softly trying to conceal her sobs.

"Violet im so sorry" Nico whispered as his gaze fell over to her, he used his crutches as he slowly limped over to her sitting on the edge of the bed as her breathing began to calm.

"Where have you been?" I sneered although  trying to hide the bitter tone in my voice which proved  to be difficult. He scared Violet so badly she was shaking with tears running down on her but on the other hand whether i like it or not Nico is her brother and i know he only wants to protect her and i guess we both have that in common.

Violet tearfully looked up to Nico and raised her eyebrows slightly as if wanting to ask that same question.

"I'm sorry I missed your birthday celebration, I'll make it up to you" Nico promised as he squeezed Violet's hand softly.

"But where were you?" Violet asks softly, repeating my question.

Nico sighed as he inhaled a shaky breath. "I didn't want to worry you... but I had surgery this morning."

Violet frowned as she fiddled with the rings on her fingers, I felt incredibly awkward knowing that I was intruding on this sentimental brother-sister moment.

"I'm gonna go now Lettie" I announced as I kissed her cheek. She pulled me into a tight hug.

"You're safe here" I whispered as I pulled away from the hug, Nico staring daggers at me as I walked out of the room.

"Is Violet okay?" Lucien asked, his voice sounding weak.

"She's okay now" I replied as I walked towards the front door.

"Wait Malik"  Lucien called, causing me to turn around as he sheepishly looked down to the floor.

"Thank you" he whispered, his gaze remaining on the floor avoiding mine.

I raised my eyebrows  "for what?" I questioned, causing Lucien to sigh softly as he twisted the rings around on her fingers.

"Thank you for being there for her. I know our families have had our differences but thank you for being there for her all those years." He admitted.

"I'll always protect her," I replied as I opened the front door and stepped outside.

The sunset was beautiful, the purple and orange melting into each other as the moon began to rise into the sky.I sighed heavily as I sat down on the edge of my bed, the silence in my house was something I had grown accustomed to but yet I never grew to like it.All the silence did was remind me how alone I am.Sure i had guards which patrolled my house but still the silence was deafening.I looked back up to the sunset, the purple now taking up the majority of the skyline.

"I hope you're okay sis" I whisper as my eyes remain on the sky but I'm pulled from that moment as I feel my phone buzz in my pocket. I pull my phone in front of me, the soft illumination glowing as my room begins to grow darker.

"Precious little Violet will be mine soon enough, but rest assured knowing you can do nothing to stop me, old friend"
My heart stops as I read the message i received  over and over as I feel the anger boil inside of me.

Violets POV
"Are you okay?" I asked as my gaze remained glued to my shaky hands.

"I'm okay i promise Bambina.It was just a complication with the bullet wound." Nico replied as he squeezed my hand gently.

"Why didn't you tell me you were having surgery?"

"Violet you only woke up today, i didn't want to tell you after you had just woken up." Nico whispered.

"I'm sick of things being hidden from me, i'm sick of secrets, i'm sick of not knowing" i abruptly announce trying to not let the depths of the anger in my heart show.

"I know Violet and I understand.I'm sorry" Nico's voice begins to grow louder although it's still filled with sorrow.

"No you don't know! you don't understand, nobody does." My voice grows loud as tears begin to threaten to fall from my eyes.

"I'm sorry" I whisper as I slump against the wall.

"I'm so sorry for yelling" I whisper as Nico gently comforts me by patting my back.

"It's okay Violet, you are okay" he whispers over and over again as my sobs grow louder.

"I feel like i'm going crazy" i admit between sobs "i still feel like i'm in that fucking basement and Nico im so scared" i whisper as tears continue to flood my face.

"I'm so scared" I repeat over and over as Nico pulls himself onto the floor next to me pulling me gently into his arms as my sobs continue to wreck my shivering body.

-------------------------------AUTHORS NOTE ----------------------------------

hiii long time no see,

sorry my lovely readers its been so long since i have updated, life has been crazy but we prevail. anyways i hope you guys liked this chapter i know its a bit shorter but im trying out shorter chapter lengths.

let me know if you guys prefer long or this length chapters.

i hope you guys like all the storylines, plot twists and chapters that will be coming.

thank you guys for all your support!! have an amazing day/night.

- EJ