11. Serious Conversations

I have decided to stay at Hogwarts over the holidays with Rue. Marcus's family is no longer traveling for the break because of Sirius Black's escape from Azkaban and the possible threat of danger. He is still returning to his lavish house with his family, though, and Rue decided to stay with me over the holidays so we could spend time more together. Since we have both had to study a lot recently, especially after Professor Snape taking over our Defense Against the Dark Arts lessons due to Professor Lupin's illness, it was nearly impossible for us to stay caught up in each others lives.

Most of the students have already gone home, so Rue and I are in our matching Christmas sweaters in the almost abandoned library with books about creatures open. Despite the obvious books in front of us, we are talking about the semester. Our tones are moderately quiet and thankfully the rules of silence aren't as strict during break. Thankfully Ron, Hermione, and Harry are also still on campus so Rue isn't the only familiar face. They're currently at a nearby table discussing how to help Hagrid with something important. Countless books are stacked on their table as they all rummage through the contents of each book.

After about an hour of their discussion and Rue and I gossiping, I notice their voices are now whispers. I contemplate relocating to the Hufflepuff common room to give them more privacy when Harry stands and clears his throat. Rue and I turn to him in curiosity. We're the only students in the library and the three of them are looking at the two of us, concern covering their faces. "Valentine, do you mind if we speak to you about something?" Harry asks. Rue and I exchange worried glances and I nod. I sit properly in my chair as the three of them come closer. Harry and Hermione sit in the chairs in front of me and Ron stands behind them, his hands on both of their chairs. I feel like I'm at a parent-teacher conference and they're all highly disappointed in me.

"When we went to Hagrid's, he told us that he saw you and Draco together," Harry begins. He glances at Hermione and continues, "And we were wondering if, um..." Harry stops to look down and scratch the back of his head, obviously anxious about something.

"Blimey, Harry, take your time!" Ron retorts sarcastically. Harry smacks his arm and they whisper sarcastically to each other. "Are you dating Malfoy?" Ron finally asks. The library becomes somehow more quiet and I look to Hermione, whose gaze is fixed on the floor. I turn to Rue who looks as startled as I am. "Seamus has been goin' on about it, too. It's drivin' me mad."

Hermione hits Ron's arm with a glare that screams be quiet. "Um, I don't know. I don't know if I should like him or move to a different country and change my name," I joke. I play with my hands in my lap as I ponder the question. I haven't spoken much to Draco since we kissed, and I just told Rue about it not even 15 minutes ago. "I mean, he admitted he liked me, he kissed me, but also basically said he didn't want anything public because of his fear of his father."

"Well, he hasn't necessarily been too exclusive about his feelings for you," Hermione states. We share a smile as we lock eyes.

"Hermione, we're supposed to be discouraging her, remember?" Harry asks. Hermione scoffs in response and crosses her arms defensively.

"You know how much I despise him! But I can't deny how he treats Valentine better than he treats everyone else," she retorts. I try to hide my smile and turn to Rue, who is as giddy as I feel. I was truthful in my answer, though; I'm not exactly sure where I stand with Draco, but I like the direction we're going in. "Maybe Valentine is what he needs to become a better person."

Ron scoffs now, a look of utter disbelief on his face. He leans further onto the chairs, basically hovering over his friends. His gaze doesn't leave Hermione. "I can't believe what I'm hearing! Someone like Malfoy will never change!" He turns to me now and a more empathetic look covers his shocked expression. Ron lowers his voice to speak to me. "We're just looking out for you, Valentine. You're too nice for someone like him anyways."

"What they're trying to say is that we don't want to see you get hurt. It's not in Draco's character to have feelings for someone like this. He has too much pride to treat you like you should be. Besides, his entire identity is based around his idea that pure bloods are superior," Hermione gently states. I know she's coming from a place of compassion, and I know how horribly Draco treats people, but I truly believe what Hermione said about me maybe being the reason he changes. Doesn't everyone deserve a redemptive arc?

"I appreciate you all looking out for me," I confide. It isn't a lie; I'm grateful for friends who care for me enough to intervene like this. It's how I know they want what's best for me, even if it isn't what I want. "But I want to continue to see where things go with him. He said it himself, he can't seem to stay away from me."

Hermione smiles reassuringly at me. "I support your decision," she says. She squeezes my hand comfortingly. "You'll have to tell me all the details!" Ron and Harry scoff at her and her hands fly up in defense. "What? How else will I make sure Valentine is treated well?"

Harry's eyes travel to the open book in front of me and his eyes widen. "Does that book happen to have anything about hippogriffs?"
Rue and I both hand over our books and Hermione and Harry quickly turn the pages.

"What's got you so interested in hippogriffs? Did Hagrid ask you to take care of his?" Rue asks. The three share looks before turning back to us. Hermione explains that Buckbeak, the hippogriff from Hagrid's lessons, is standing on trial for hurting Malfoy. It must have happened after we went to Hogsmeade together since he didn't have a sling on then. "They can't do that! If anyone provokes a creature, it'll defend itself." Rue is looking as horrified as I feel. I can't say I'm particularly surprised at Malfoy's behavior - I know he will do anything to bring down Harry and anyone close to him. It's one of the reasons why I can't explain my feelings for Draco.

"How do we help?" I ask.