14. Pretty Please

It's the first day everyone's back and I've gotten too used to the quiet. Don't get me wrong, I love talking to my classmates and actually having things to do. But reading the entire break and only spending time with a select group of people is amazing.

It's breakfast now and Professor Dumbledore is giving his usual "welcome back" speech, but Rue is filling in Marcus about how I'm going to ask Draco to drop all charges against Buckbeak. Everyone has too much faith in me and it's discouraging; I don't want to disappoint them if - or more likely, when - Draco says he's sticking with his accusation. He isn't one to admit when he's wrong or treat mythical creatures well.

My eyes search the Slytherin table and I find Draco already looking at me with a smirk. His eyes are squinting at my lips to see if I'm wearing the lipgloss he bought me. His smirk grows when he sees my lips shimmering in the light. The girl next to him, Pansy, tries to get his attention again but to no avail. She follows his gaze and finds me; her face distorts into a disgusted one. I've never spoken to her, but it is quite obvious that she has an obsession with Draco. It's been apparent since our first year, yet he's never given her a reason to believe his feelings are more than constant annoyance.

"Looks like you're on her naughty list," Marcus chuckles, leaning in to whisper to me once he notices Pansy's glare. Draco is now looking at Dumbledore again with a bored expression; no doubt waiting until our plates are filled with food. I shake my head and laugh, too, since I know he's right.

At the Gryffindor table, Seamus and Ron are looking at me, smiling with thumbs up. I know he's probably been filled in with my "mission" to change Draco's mind. I return the smile and thumbs up as Professor Dumbledore's speech meets the conclusion. We clap in unison and cheer when food appears in front of us. Since it's loud now, we don't have to whisper about anything.

"I'm glad you and Seamus are back to normal," Rue says. I couldn't be happier, either. I can't stand him being upset, especially when he's disappointed or upset with me. My hopes that he wouldn't be mad for long we're answered, and I'm sure not seeing me for a few weeks helped.

After breakfast, I follow Rue and Marcus back to Hufflepuff common and discuss the coming semester. Right as we reach the top of the stairs, though, someone clears their throat behind us. To no one's surprise, Draco is leaning against the railing and looking at us. "Mind if I borrow her for a moment?" Draco asks, his eyes switching from Rue to Marcus. As if on cue, they both push me towards him and run into the common room without another word. They can be so embarrassing.

I join Draco at the railing and the students passing by are watching us - no doubt questioning how two opposites could be having a decent conversation. "Have a good Christmas, Hufflepuff?"

I roll my eyes at his question. Sometimes I question if he remembers my name and just goes off of my house. "Yes, Slytherin," I mock, attempting to mimic his voice. He tries to hide his growing smirk and crosses his arms.

"I see you liked my gift, Valentine." He motions to my lipgloss I reapplied after eating. "It is the one I gave you, right? Your little boyfriend hasn't given you another to wear?"

He can be so annoying sometimes. "Draco, the only person anyone thinks I'm dating is you."

Draco turns to me now with a mocking smile on his face. I can tell he's about to tease me. "Is there a problem with that? The last I checked, you enjoyed my company."

It's my turn to tease him now. "You were the one who kissed me and told me you can't be away from-"

His lips are on mine in an instant. In shock, my hands immediately fly to his chest and grip his shirt. His hands are on my waist, pulling me closer to him.

A gagging sound is heard from the staircase next to us. When we separate, I can see Ron, Harry, and Hermione looking at us. Ron and Harry look disgusted, but Hermione is grinning at us. "Get a room, you two!" Ron yells, attracting more attention to us. Hermione grabs her friends and they leave. Draco glares at the remaining students until they leave, too.

"Draco, can I ask you a question? Or a favor, more like?"

Draco's attention is back on me; one of his hands is still on my waist, though I'm not sure if he realizes. His infamous smirk returns as he lists the possibilities of the favor I'm about to ask. I give him my best doe eyes and pout a bit before he can reply, hoping that I can make him want to say yes before another word leaves my mouth. "Pretty please, Draco?"

"What could you possibly want?" He asks, humor riddling his face. "Is the favor jinxing an admirer? I'd do that without you asking."

I roll my eyes again. "Draco, you're making your feelings for me too obvious. Again."

Draco's smile drops and he attempts to glare at me, but he's an awful liar. Not even a blind person could believe his expression towards me is genuine right now. "Anyways," I begin, ignoring his terrible attempt to be mad at me. "I was told about what happened with Buckbeak."

"The monster almost killed me!" He defends, holding onto his arm to emphasize the so-called attack. "He's lucky he isn't dead yet."

I wrap my arms around Draco's torso and look up at him, bringing back the pout and doe eyes. "Draco, I love creatures! Could you please tell them to drop the case?"

His hands are up in defense as he studies my face. He looks confused and almost insulted. I only increase my pleading face and hug him tighter. "Pretty please! It would mean so much to me!"

"Valentine, it's up to my father now. Even if I spoke to him, he-"

I shove my face into his chest and sniffle. This has to work, right? Maybe? It's hard to tell if he has that much of a soft spot for me. He groans and puts his arms around me. "Does the life of that hideous beast mean that much to you?"

My eyes meet his and I nod, still giving him a pouty lip. I can tell that he's pondering about something, and my thoughts are affirmed when he smirks at me mischievously. "Let's say I do speak to my father about that wicked thing. How would you return this favor, hm?"

That wasn't part of the plan.

"I would say 'anything,' but I'm scared to commit that heavily. What would you want in return?" I ask, my arms still tightly around him. I'm giving him my most innocent look now, hoping that his favor won't be too terrible.

"Commitment issues, eh? Didn't strike me as someone scared of it," Draco teases, his eyebrow raised. He tilts his head up as if to ponder, but I'm sure his wicked smile is telling me that he has already figured it out.

"Okay, I'll talk to my father. But you have to promise you'll do something in return."

"Just don't get me in trouble," I beg, hoping that my pleas would actually mean something to him.

"I'll think of the favor later. For now, just know that there will be one."