48. First Night

Once I've collected everything, I bid Marcus and Rue a good night and promise to see them at breakfast in the morning. It's thankfully a Sunday tomorrow, so I don't have to worry about classes. I descend the staircase and stop at the end of the hallway and peer around to find Pansy walking from the Slytherin dorms to me with a robe in her hand.

She motions for me to meet her and I do, throwing my bag around my shoulder and trying to not look as nervous as I am. The heads of houses have already performed their nightly bed-check and our main worry should be any prefects or Filch roaming the halls. I quickly put on the Slytherin robe and follow Pansy to the door. She whispers a password to the snake statue and the door opens, both of us climbing in.

Slytherin common is vastly different than Hufflepuff. It may just be that it is below ground and the dark green and black makes it seem darker, but it looks like a genuine dungeon. A clean, royal dungeon, but a dungeon nonetheless. Crabbe is standing in front of a Slytherin student and his large body is blocking their view of Pansy and I as we ascend the staircase to get to the dorms. When we seem to have passed the final door, Pansy opens a curtain that reveals a painting. She runs her finger over the belly of the green snake and it slithers before the painting slowly opens to reveal a room behind.

"Thank you," I whisper. Pansy nods her head and bids me a good night. She goes back to her dorm and I throw my bag inside the room, climbing as stealthily as possible after. This portrait was not made for chubby people.

I close the painting behind me and smile at Draco. He's on one of the beds with Martin purring next to him. "I'm beginning to think he likes you more than he likes me," I laugh. I pet Martin's head and smile at his purrs.

"The cat gets a greeting and I don't?" Draco asks. I playfully pet his head like I do Martin and he rolls his eyes. "You're lucky you're pretty."

I lay on the bed next to him and scratch Martin's head while he stretches and purrs at my touch. I'm laying on my side and Draco is on his side behind me with his arm wrapped around me to pet Martin. "Am I lucky to be pretty? Or am I just lucky to be your girlfriend?"

Draco kisses my head. "You know how to get my heart racing," he whispers. Martin jumps off the bed and I fully turn to look at Draco with teasing eyes. I hear his breath hitch in his throat before he clears it. "Valentine, you know what that does to me."

I stop teasing him and sit up. Draco set the bags of gifts he bought earlier on a chair next to the wobbly desk in the corner. The bags look cheerful in comparison to the gloom of the vacant room. Draco sees where my eyes are focused and he smirks. "It must be nice to have a boyfriend to buy anything you could ever want," he brags. He sits up next to me and grabs a few of the bags to sort through on the bed. He chose the one from the candy store.

We both eat a chocolate frog and compare our cards. Both of us got Dumbledore. Draco scoffs and tosses his card to the side. "As if I don't get enough of him here," he sneers, taking a bite of his chocolate frog. He's always hated Dumbledore.

"Why do you hate him so much? I think he's a great headmaster," I say, placing my card on the nightstand next to me. The Dumbledore in the card winks at me and walks out of frame.

Draco looks at me as if I've asked a stupid question. "Valentine, he let you, a fourteen-year-old, compete in a tournament he knew you weren't prepared for. And don't get me started on the rest."

I stay silent for a moment because I know he's right. It doesn't look that Dumbledore is so great when you look at it from that perspective. "If you ask me, he's been going down a spiral these last few years and should just retire," Draco continues. He looks through the bag again for another treat.

Martin begins to play with the discarded Dumbledore card; the picture within peaking around to play with Martin in a game of peek-a-boo. He meows lightly as his large paws smack the paper, barely missing its target.

"I'm still alive," I say, shrugging my shoulders and smelling one of the five lipglosses he bought me today. He told me that no one should ever have so many lipglosses, but he stopped talking when I reminded him he would be able to taste them.

"Are we forgetting who taught you everything you know?"

I look at him and make a fake thinking face. "Hmm... Rue and Marcus have been great teachers," I say.

"I'm not afraid to hex them, Valentine."

I laugh and hit his shoulder playfully. "You've obviously been the one to teach me everything." Draco smiles at my words - I knew they were all he needed to hear to boost his ego again. I suddenly yawn - I didn't know how tired I was until just now. Shopping all day really takes a lot out of you.

"I think it's time you got some rest," Draco says. He kisses my forehead and places the bags where the rest of my belongings are. As I lay under my sheets, Draco turns off the light and lays in the bed across from mine.

"Draco, if I have a nightmare, will you share the bed with me?"

He turns the desk lamp on and sits up in his bed. "You've been having nightmares?"

I sit up as well and nod my head. I haven't really spoken to anyone about them, but isn't it right for him to know before he finds out if he's awake while I'm having one? "I think the stress of the tournament and, well, everything else has been getting to me."

"Just say the words and I'll be there with you in half a second."

A/N
So sorry for the super late chapter!! It's also a bit of a filler. I'm hoping to have another chapter up by Wednesday!! Again, so sorry <3