15. Raindrops

"What do you think that favor could be?" Marcus asks, trying not to speak above a whisper in the library. Professor Snape has taken over defense against the dark arts again, and having him for two classes just means the homework is being multiplied daily. We can barely spend a second without a book in front of us. "I mean, Malfoy isn't the most sensitive, you know?"

I've already told Harry, Ron, and Hermione. They saw it all, though, peeking from behind the corner. Ron congratulated me on being the only person to ever sway Draco's ego. Hermione gave me her usual knowing smile and we giggled again, causing the boys to groan and roll their eyes. It was also apparent that Harry was uncomfortable with the situation, but never uttered a word of disapproval.

"I'm not sure, really. I'm kind of scared, to be honest," I reply. It isn't a lie - there are a thousand and one possibilities that Draco could ask of me. He wouldn't humiliate me or make me do anything terrible, would he? "I don't know if there's much time left, anyways. I think Buckbeak is due to be killed next week."

Rue sighs and finally lifts her gaze from her essay. Her quill has been put to the test the last few days and her hand is no doubt hurting. She goes to bed later than I do and is already gone by the time I wake up. I couldn't do it. "Has Malfoy said anything about his father's decision, or if he's even had the conversation with him?" Rue inquires. I shake my head no; I haven't gotten a chance to see Draco in days. I'm too focused on passing my classes, but I feel guilty for not following up for Hagrid's sake.

"I'll go find him now," I say. Marcus volunteers to bring my books back to Hufflepuff common while they wait for me there. When I leave the library, I try to think of places Draco could be. Probably in the Slytherin common, since he isn't too keen on studying. Well, at least in public.

I pass a few students on my walk, one of them being Seamus. "Listen, Valentine, I'm sorry for being so short with you before," he says. We both step to the side of the moving students around us. There will be finals soon enough, and it's the main topic of conversation recently. "But I can't ignore you all the time. It's killing me. Do you forgive me?"

I can only laugh; how could he believe I would hold a grudge against him? I pull Seamus in for a hug and I can feel him sigh against me. "Ron has told me about your infatuation with Malfoy. As much as I hate the git, I just want you to be happy. But if I ever see you hurt because of him, I will do something about it."

What I love about Seamus is that he's so loyal to his friends. Even if they've hurt him as badly as I did. I'll be eternally grateful to have a friend as genuine as him. "Anyways, I have to study. I'll see you around, Valentine."

We say our goodbyes and part ways. My attention is back on finding Draco, but it doesn't take long for me to find him. "See you and Finnigan made up."

Of course Draco is around the corner. And of course he listened to our every word. "Contemplated telling him to back off but seems that Weaslebee has convinced him already. Shame. Would've loved to do some ... convincing, myself."

I join him behind the corner and follow him outside to find that the day is gloomy. It isn't raining now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it raining soon. "Have you spoken to your father?" I ask. Draco's hands are in his pockets and his gaze is to the fields in front of us. There aren't many students outside, most likely due to the coming weather.

The tension in Draco's body is visible whenever his father is mentioned. His nose scrunches sometimes, too. It reminds me of a bunny. He clears his throat before he speaks again, "My father says it's too far along to do anything. He laughed at the thought of doing a favor for Hagrid. He's always hated him."

We stop walking under an arch as rain droplets start to fall. It's enough to send the rest of the students running inside, but we stay put. The arch is barely big enough to keep us dry, but the wind is sending rain sideways to mist around us. I reach for his hand reassuringly, but he pulls away and looks down. "Are you okay?" I ask.

Draco shrugs, his hands falling back into his pocket with a shiver. "Valentine, my father isn't..."

He sighs. My arms are protectively around myself as the wind picks up; rain is now dampening my hair. Draco doesn't seem to care; I'm not sure he even realizes we're being rained on right now with how lost he looks in his thoughts. "Can we just not talk about him? He said no. That's all."

I nod my head, not wanting to press any further. "Can we go inside, it's starting to storm pretty badly," I ask. It takes a second for Draco to nod, his gaze still not finding mine. I put my hand on his chin and gently lift his head up to look at mine. "Thank you for asking. It means so much to me," I softly say. It's barely audible over the rain and wind, but his softened expression tells me he heard me clearly. Even though I asked him as a favor for Hagrid and my friends, it's thoughtful that he would ask his father such a request. Especially with how horrid I hear his father is.

Draco turns to walk inside and I quickly follow, grateful that we can find warmth inside. Once inside, we find our way to an empty corridor to finish our conversation. There's a bench against the wall and we sit in a momentary silence. "What's your father like, Valentine?"

"I love my father. He's a lawyer in the, umm.. muggle world," I begin. I miss my father and am regretting not visiting him over break. "He taught me what true love is. Even now, our house is riddled with photos of my mom although she passed years ago."

Draco bites his bottom lip as I continue. I can tell he's truly listening to what I'm saying and imagining what my father is like. "He's my best friend. Even if he doesn't understand what the wizard world is like, he does whatever he can to make sure I'm taken care of and happy."

"Was your mother as beautiful as you?"

I can physically feel my heart melting. All I can do is look in disbelief. Draco Malfoy speaking in such a gentle, romantic way is shocking. Even when I've seen him cave while I'm hugging him.

All I can do is hug him. It's kind of awkward since we're both sitting on a bench, but Draco rests his head on mine and we sit in silence again. I beg the tears in my eyes to not fall - even in a moment like this, I'm sure Draco will tease me. When I pull away, I focus my eyes on the ground to force the tears to disappear from my eyes.

"What is going on here?"

Our heads shoot up to find Professor Snape walking towards us, his usual stoic face accompanied by a raised eyebrow. Professor McGonagall is behind him, hiding her smile. Draco and I shoot up; my eyes shift between the two adults and Draco fixes his shirt. Professor Snape's attention turns towards me. "I trust you can find your way to your next class, Miss Walker?"

I nod my head and without another word I leave the three.

A/N
Sorry for the long chapter. I'm just in a romantic mood and decided to have a soft Draco moment. <3