43. Apologies & Admirers

Marcus, Rue, and I find our normal table in Hufflepuff common and sit down. Marcus stayed with Martin while Rue and I showered to warm up. When we returned, Marcus had four mugs of warm tea. Many students are interrupting us to congratulate me, but most of the attention is on Cedric, who is recounting the entire experience to everyone who asks.

"I'm really, really sorry, Valentine," Rue apologizes. Her gaze is focused on her mug, a habit she has when she's too nervous to look into someone's eyes. "Sometimes Malfoy just gets on my nerves and then we got detention. All I could think about was how he was happy, doing whatever he wanted without being punished. Then Marcus told me that both of you had gotten detention, too. And it took me way too long to realize that it was actually a meaningful reason we got in trouble. I'm sorry Valentine. Do you forgive me?"

I grab ahold of her hand. "Of course, Rue. You're my best friend. It's no big deal."

Rue's eyes widen. "No big deal? You saved my life after I have been avoiding you! This isn't no big deal. You know what - I would really appreciate if you were upset with me. You being this nice when I don't deserve it is upsetting."

Marcus and I laugh. "It's okay, sweetheart. Can't we go back to normal? We don't have to worry about another task until summer," Marcus suggests.

We agree to forget everything and decide to roam the school grounds. "How did you end up getting second, anyways? That means you and Harry are tied for first," Rue asks as we descend the staircase to the great hall.

"Draco told me merpeople don't like magic so I didn't use it. Until the end, when we were being chased by merpeople. That was a close one."

Rue raises an eyebrow. "We were chased by merpeople while I was unconscious? How did you manage that?"

I shrug as we sit at our table for a quick lunch before we head to Hogsmeade. "I just escaped. I didn't want to use any spells on them." I pile my plate with food and dig in. I've only just realized how hungry I am.

The Weasley twins sit on either side of me and George hands me a handful of coins. "What's this for?" I ask.

"You made us rich after finishing second. No one thought our little lovebird could do it. I knew you had it in you. That's only a portion of what we won!" George says, wrapping an arm around me.

"We've both got bags full still. That's just to show our appreciation for supporting our business."

I stuff the coins in my pocket and take a long swig of pumpkin juice. "And will I get discounts for this business of yours, or does your gratitude end today?"

They both laugh while I continue to eat. "Make us rich in the third task, and we will give you as many discounts as you want," Fred says. George eyes him. "Okay, we'll decide what discounts you get. But you should feel lucky - we haven't extended this offer to our own brother!"

They excuse themselves to talk to first years and I shake my head. "Are you ready to go?" I ask. Marcus and Rue don't reply, so I look up at them. They're both staring at me like I'm stupid. "What? Is there something in my teeth?"

"You're too oblivious, Valentine," Marcus says, shaking his head. He and Rue rise and I jog to catch up to them as they make their way toward the exit. We check with Filch and then go outside, all of us bracing ourselves to the chilly weather.

Marcus and Rue hold hands as they silently make their way to Hogsmeade. "Care to share?" I ask, falling in step next to them.

"Fred totally digs you," Rue giggles, looking at me momentarily. She links our arms together. "It's so obvious. Oh, our little lovebird! You made us rich! We haven't even given our brother the same chance we're giving you!"

"Our little lovebird! I'll help you sneak out, but only if your dumb boyfriend won't be there," Marcus joins, both he and Rue laughing as they do so. "Oh, Valentine," Marcus says, with more seriousness. "You should've seen the way he pushed his way through the crowd to greet you before Draco did. He was pretty low key about it, talking about how he needed to see which champion it was for his bets."

"You guys have it all wrong," I reply. "Fred is just naturally flirty. You just notice it because you're my best friends."

They both laugh. "No, Valentine; we notice it because we have eyes," Rue says. We veer into The Three Broomsticks and Marcus excuses himself to buy drinks while Rue and I find seating.

"Isn't it ironic?" Rue asks. She's sitting across from me; both of us have an empty seat next to us. We lean in to whisper to each other. "Your boyfriend hates the Weasleys, and your admirer hates the Malfoys. It's like this love triangle was meant to be."

"Rue, you need to stop reading love novels," I say. We both laugh and I can feel my face heat up. "And stop making my life more complicated than it needs to be! This has happened with Seamus before, then Lev came into my life and was all weird, and now this? And let's not forget that somebody somewhere wants me dead."

Although it's a tough situation, we both laugh again. I'm just too happy to have my best friend back to be upset over anything. "Let's just assume that Fred doesn't have feelings for me until he says something!"

Rue rolls her eyes and Marcus sits next to her. "Fred will never confess as long as you're dating Draco," Rue replies, taking a sip of her butter beer.

"She's right, you know," Marcus adds as he nods to his girlfriend. "Fred hates Draco too much to get involved in something like this."

"Speaking of...." Rue says. I turn toward the door and see Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle entering. Draco has a shopping bag in his hand as he scans the room. When his eyes land on me, he smirks and begins to walk over. His two friends part to find the rest of their Slytherin pack.

Draco pulls the chair out next to me and sits down. "Hello darling," he greets. He sets the bag down in front of me. "This is a gift for getting second place in the task this morning. Open it."

Rue and Marcus hold hands in anticipation as I reach inside. I pull out a soft, knitted sweater. It's brown with tan patterns on it. "That's not even the best part," Draco says. He opens his coat to reveal that he's wearing a matching sweater. Rue and Marcus squeal in delight.

"You got us matching sweaters?" I gasp, staring between the sweater in my hand and the one he's wearing. "Hold on, I'm gonna put this on right now."

I stand and kiss Draco on the cheek before I go to the bathroom to change. I'm not sure how, but he bought the perfect size. It's even a little baggy, which makes me look like a chubby teddy bear. It fits perfectly with my dark hair and pale complexion. When I exit the bathroom, Draco is already looking at me with a smile.

"I have to take a picture of this!" Marcus muses as I take my seat next to Draco. Draco puts his arm around me and we smile as Marcus takes a few photos. "I'll give both of you a copy."

I'm in awe of how much Draco has changed. He didn't want to be seen with me this time last year, now he has me wearing his ring around my neck and walking around in matching sweaters?

A Slytherin girl next to us scoffs and makes a snide comment about our sweaters. Draco turns his head to her and sneers. "Do you want your horse teeth to grow three times their size?" Her smile vanishes. "I didn't think so. Mind your business."

My mouth falls open - maybe he hasn't changed that much. "I happen to think your sweaters are lovely," Marcus says. He sarcastically wipes a fake sweat drop from his eyebrow and Rue and I laugh at his joke.

My smile drops when I see Rita Skeeter enter. She gasps in delight when she sees me and runs over, her cameraman at her side. "What young love! I'm sure Lucius would be thrilled!"

The cameraman blinds us with multiple photos before Draco covers my eyes from the flashes. "I would like an interview with both of you, if you wouldn't mind?" Rita asks. Draco immediately agrees and he grabs my hand, pulling me to where she is wanting us to sit.

Her quill and notepad are unleashed from her bag and they find their way next to her as she begins to ask us questions.

A/N
Sorry guys, I love a good love triangle. And Fred Weasley ??? I have so many plans for this love triangle - you know I had to choose two enemies to make things spicier. Let me know what you think.