13. Hagrid's Hut

The day after Christmas is as uneventful as any other day. Martin cuddled next to me early this morning and hasn't left since. There's no telling what time it is, but the sun is shining in our dorm room in a warm light. Rue is still snoring in her bed, so I know it can't be too late - even on break, Rue rarely allows herself to sleep in.

After thirty minutes of trying to fall back asleep, I accept my fate and stay awake, grabbing the first book of the series my father bought for me. I'll have to write a letter to him later today to thank him.

After reading a few chapters, I become too restless to stay in bed. Martin follows me to take a warm shower; his round orange face appears behind the curtains every few minutes so he can make sure I'm still alive. I've never been hurt in the shower before, but Martin doesn't like not being able to see me.

He purrs while he trots next to me to the common room. I plan to explore the castle a bit and hopefully run into Harry, Hermione, and Ron while I'm out. Of course, Martin jumps through the entrance to Hufflepuff commons as I exit. This will be one of those days where he doesn't leave my side, I assume. Maybe it's the wet food he ate for Christmas and he's showing me his eternal gratitude.

"Valentine!"

I stop descending the staircase and look up. I'm met with the three people I was hoping to run into today, each wearing a smile at my company. "We're heading to Hagrid's now, care to join?" Hermione invites. They meet me at my place on the stairs at Ron glares at Martin. Hermione, on the other hand, is already squatting and scratching his head.

"I'd love to. Martin will be my plus one," I reply. Ron groans and mutters about cats being "bloody murderers," but I choose to ignore him and follow behind.

"He's angry because cats are natural hunters," Hermione informs, rolling her eyes with a fond smile on her face as the two boys discuss something ahead of us. "It isn't my fault Crookshanks chases after his rat!"

When we reach Hagrid's hut, he is already outside waiting for us. Buckbeak coos at our arrival and immediately tries to greet Harry. Martin runs to greet Hagrid, who he has probably stalked many times. He loves roaming outside and probably was given food by Hagrid.

"Lovely seeing you, Valentine. Quite a surprise - thought you went home," Hagrid greets. He is always kind; it would be a shock to ever see him insult someone to their face.

Hagrid invites us inside and Martin makes himself comfortable by the fireplace while we sit at Hagrid's large, round table. "Have you heard about Buckbeak?" Hagrid asks me. I nod my head and give him an empathetic smile. "Do you think there's any chance, you could, you know..."

I tilt my head to the side in confusion. What could I do to help the situation? As much as I love mythical creatures and the people in front of me, I don't think there's much I can do. "What he's asking, Valentine, is if you could ask Malfoy to drop the charges," Harry finishes. Hagrid nods to Harry to thank him; it looks as if he's too emotional to finish his sentence.

"It would mean a whole lot to me. The dates set a few weeks after start of term."

The four are pleading with me now, their expressions are hopeful that I could sway whatever plan Draco has. "Come on, Valentine, the bloke only answers to you!" Ron chimes in. Both Hermione and Harry elbow him at his response.

"I mean, I could try. But please understand, if his father refuses to back down, I don't think Draco could do much else. I've never met his father, but he doesn't seem too polite."

Everyone laughs at my sentence as if I've made a funny joke. "Trust me, Valentine, Draco's the nicest of the lot," Hagrid says. "But would you care to see if he'll stop? I'll make sure Buckbeak is well taken care of; away from kids!"

If I'm being honest, I would do anything to make Hagrid happy again. He's only ever been kind to me and anyone he's met. That doesn't include the many creatures he's taken care of, either. I'm sure even the creatures in the Forbidden Forest have thanked him numerous times.

"Absolutely I'll talk to him, Hagrid."

Hagrid stands to hug me and I'm almost crushed within his arms. I can hear him sniffle before he sets me back down to regain some air in my lungs. "Valentine, you've just made me the happiest man."

-

As we're leaving Hagrid's hut, the boys are well ahead of us and Hermione and Martin are walking next to me. "What's he like?" She asks, her gaze shortly shifting to me before her eyes lay on the path ahead of us. "I mean, Draco. When you're alone together."

"There are many things different about him when we're alone. He makes my heart flutter like no one else. He tries to hide that he has feelings for me, but it's too obvious," I confide. I smile to myself as I remember everything Draco has said to me.

"Is he romantic?" Hermione asks. We look at each other and I can tell my cheeks are turning pink. We both giggle as I try to hide my face from her. She probably isn't used to being able to talk like this considering her two best friends are boys.

We're close to the castle now and the boys are too lost in conversation to notice how far behind we are. Despite the cold, Hermione and I sit on the stone steps with Martin laying on my feet. "Definitely. The first time I truly realized he could care for others was when Martin was missing," I begin. I shift my foot playfully to tease Martin. "I was so worried and searching for him at all hours, even in the rain. One day Draco approached me, covered in cobwebs, and going on about how he happened to stumble upon him."

Hermione giggles again. "Did he honestly think you were dumb enough to believe that lie?"

We both erupt in more laughter at the thought of how silly that lie sounded. "He also bought me Christmas presents. A green scarf to match Slytherin house and cinnamon lip gloss. Draco said he didn't like lipgloss because he thought I wore it for Seamus. Who, by the way, is definitely on the top of Draco's hit list," I say. "But I guess if he chooses the scent, it's okay."

"We can hear you giggling across the castle!" Ron yells, walking through the front door. Harry is right behind him and they both have suspicious looks on their faces. "What are you going on about, anyways?"

Hermione and I exchange one glance before we stand in unison, ignoring the boys and walking past them to the warmth of the castle. "I hope you're heading for lunch cause I'm starving!" Ron complains.

"Does he ever stop complaining?" I ask Hermione. She shakes her head no and we laugh again, annoying her best friends once again.

A/N
I promise the next chapter will have Draco. I've just had to put some fillers in and I need Valentine to be a bit closer to the trio to set up other chapters. <3