Chapter four.

It wasn't much later when Arthur was about to feed Merlin a third spoonful of soup. Only to notice that the warlock had passed out again, giving the knights and the king an clear idea of just how tired and weak he is. To what extent his fatigue is and how close his deathbed really is.

     "Lance, help me wash Merlin in the river." Arthur announces to the knight who was the first to be done with eating his food. Lancelot nods his head and grabs some clean clothes from his bag that are the king's white shirt and black breeches, a belt to keep the breeches on and a cape to keep the poor warlock warm from the cold weather.

     They head down to the stream, which isn't too far and go a little out of sight so that if Merlin were to wake and realise what is going on, he wouldn't have to be seen naked by even more people then just them two. He doesn't want everyone to see them bathe the poor warlock, but still he close enough to shout for help if things get out of hand.

     As they reach the stream at a shallow part, they unwrap the capes from Merlin's cold body and drop the stuff at the shore to keep them dry, Arthur holds Merlin up by the shoulder. His body posture even if it hangs limp, they can see looks crooked, that the wound above his voice box looks deep enough to do damage to it.

     "Looks like he might be cripple." Lancelot informs Arthur from the other side, seeing the dislocated bone from the rest of his spine. Surely meaning he is cripple from underneath his ribs down. His hand trails over the voice box to inspect it, feeling the deep gash. "I'm sure he's mute too." Lancelot says sadly to the king. Hating already what has become of Merlin.

     "Who would do this to him?" Arthur asks no one, not not wanting to know that answer anyways. He doesn't want to know what they had done to Merlin, all he want at this point is to know who did this and where they are so he can rid them from the face of earth.

     Without another word being shared between them, they help Merlin down into the shallow part of the stream. Gently not to irritate nor worsen the wounds clean from the grease and dirt that has clung to his body. In the light of the moon, Arthur can see the frostbite wounds having coloured into a silvery colour instead of black, which is odd since those wounds would never heal again and yet, Merlin's body is healing it, seeming to take priority to it.

     He washes away the greasy and mud, blood and what not from the hair of Merlin. Knowing that when they get back they would have to cut those strands of hair short again and shave his chin, knowing that Merlin had always complained about having a beard as he wouldn't get one until he would be old and grey. Many dried up blood washes away from the wounds and parts of his skin as they soak him in the gently stream.

     Arthur cleans the blood from between his legs, fearing what more damage they had done to Merlin. If they even had tortured him in a sexual way, what would make Arthur even more furious than he already was. He doesn't want his innocent warlock to have experienced something like that as he is sure that Merlin had never thought about anyone like that. He would shy away from the topic every time it would be mentioned. He once even with a hunting trip admitted to them that he wouldn't have a clue what it is like.

     Once the warlock is clean from dirt, blood, mould and algae, they lift him up from the water again and dry him in one of the cloths that they use while cleaning themselves when they got dirty and had to clean in a pool of water. Making sure it was an unused one for his wounds and already infections. Arthur holds him up so that Lancelot can dress him.

     Putting on the shirt was easier then the breeches, the breeches were a bit of a struggle as neither of them were able to properly get them on until the fifth try. They were trying to be as careful with him as possible, not to injure him further then he already was. The cape was the easiest to put on, wrapped up like a human blanket roll was an adorable look on Merlin, despite the unhealthy look on him.