Chapter fourteen.

The banquet hall had been decorated to perfect with the help of Gwen and Merlin. While the theme of Yuletide was followed, the only thing that went wrong were the flowers.

     While the fabric white banners with light blue were hung from the ceiling with white and blue snowflakes embroidered into the fabrics, pinecones were spread through the hall with pine branches along side it. It was done better then ever, although Gwen is still sure that Merlin was very good at it on his own.

     While Merlin had promised that he would use a spell to keep the flowers alive during the entire festive. The flowers were suppose to be entirely white or light blue, however, when he used a spell to conjure them, the colours had bled on the other flowers and the result was mixed colours on the white petals or blue.

     His magic had been a bit of a mess the last couple of weeks and Merlin is sure that something is definitely wrong with him. He had gone to Gaius and explained all his symptoms while Gaius didn't think anything was wrong with him and Arthur made the joke of Merlin having all the pregnancy symptoms. Gaius decided to do some studying before the Yuletide started.

     While Arthur meant it as a joke, Merlin noticed Gaius' demeanour towards it and had a feeling that the old physician was sure that it was something along those lines since he grabbed instead of an anatomy book but a book on magic creatures. He did send away the two and promised to come back to it later, since it could take some while before he found anything.

     So instead, Arthur had decided that the two of them should get ready, while Merlin didn't agree with the attire he was being forced into by Arthur. The end result was pleasing to both.

     Arthur had the royal seamstress make Merlin a wardrobe worthy of a king, which had Merlin protest against it immensely. He didn't see anything wrong with his clothes but Arthur just wouldn't have it. His future Court sorcerer and consort isn't not allowed to walk around in rags.

     Merlin didn't notice the later that was said, it hadn't reached his ears when he had looked at himself in the mirror. He was fitted into a pendragon red shirt with a soft and form fitted deep blue jacket all with golden seams and a cape of his own, which he complained to be too heavy for his aching knees. So that was taken off and slung over Arthur arm to keep the warlock warm in the banquet hall. His neckerchief was replaced with something new and better fabric, his breeches black and nicely fitted too.

     Arthur even went to great lengths to replace Merlin's worn shoes with new ones and nicer leather and buckles that were stitched on better. Once done, Arthur threw a hand through Merlin's wet hair and fixed the rats nest on top.

     "Wait a minute!" Merlin turns around, suddenly realising what Arthur had called him. "Your future consort? When did we establish that?" Merlin asks, folding his arms over his chest.

     Arthur laughs, walking over to Merlin and wraps him up into his arms. "Last week, remember." He tells the warlock.

     Who frowns at him, turning around into his arms. "No, we didn't. At least, i don't remember you asking me to marry you." Merlin tells him, a little offended that Arthur hadn't actually asked him and just assumed he would go along with it.

     Arthur chuckles and plants a kiss on his lips. "Relax, Darling." He says, rubbing his hands over Merlin's shoulders. "I know I didn't ask, i was just messing with you." Merlin huns softly, still not all too pleased with the king but allows to be hugged.

     "Then why did you call me your future consort?" Merlin asks softly, a little unsure.

     Arthur has noticed that Merlin was a little emotional lately. He is quick to doubt things. "I was going to ask you tonight." Arthur tells Merlin, softly and dragging him to the nearest chair. Standing on his legs is still not a friend of his.