Chapter 3

Zayn's POV

The morning was completely quiet as I walked through town with the two wild turkeys I had just shot. I was going to sell them to the town butcher for pretty good money, considering he was buying them illegally from me.

As I made my way past the houses, it was deadly silent. The silence set a cold feeling in the pit of my stomach that seeped through my bones. Something wasn't right, or it was just me being paranoid walking through town with wild turkeys I shot in the forest.

I turned the bend of one of the houses and saw officials in a large group walking towards a house. I hid behind the house I had just turned the bend of and watched them.

The door to the falling apart home was snapped off its hinges as the officials rushed the house. Minutes later, a blood curdling scream sounded from the home. I dropped the birds to the floor and stood from where I was crouching down.

More screams echoed through the small town and soon a lanky curly haired boy was dragged through the front door. One of the officials dropped him to the floor and began hitting him with his baton. The curly haired boy begged for them to stop, but he only got kicked to the face in return.

Something in me snapped seeing that. From where I was, I ended up laying my body over the tall boy less than a minute later. I got hit with the batons and yelled at to move, but the poor bleeding boy under me just clung to my leather jacket for protection.

"Move boy!" They yelled at me. I looked up at them and shook my head.

"Stop hurting him! He didn't do anything!" I yelled back at them. Someone from behind me grabbed the back of my jacket and pulled me off the curly boy. They didn't hit him again, instead all of their attention was on me. I suddenly became aware of the fact there were twelve officials standing around me. They all had the same hard look on their faces as they looked at me.

"He tried to run when we got here to take him to the Square. Orders are, he's supposed to be getting married today. It's a crime to run from us." One of them told me. I was let go of and slowly kneeled down next to the crying boy on the ground. My eyes didn't leave the men in front of me as I kneeled down.

"I don't want to go." The boy whimpered to me. He was my age, obviously, but to whom he was marrying it was probably going to be another male. That's just me guessing by the way he's reacting to this. I looked down and felt the need to hold him even though I don't even know him. His big green eyes looked at me like I was his last hope. His hand found its way to mine and gripped it like I had the power to stop this from happening to him.

"I'm so sorry." I whispered to him, giving his hand a tentative squeeze. He looked down at my hand that was in his and his thumb ran over the dove I had tattooed on me.

"I'll remember you." He whispered, then not even a second later he was brought to his feet and drug away from me. I sat in the dirt watching as the tall boy limped along with the officials down the dirt covered road.

My eyes looked down to the tattoo on my hand and I swear I could still feel his smooth thumb running over the skin. His deep voice telling me he would remember me echoed through my mind. I did nothing for him to remember me for though.

A gust of freezing cold wind hit my body and a small snow flake landed on my hand. The snow flake reminded me of the date and reminded me of what today was.

I was sprinting down the streets straight to the bakery not a minute sooner. When I got there, I saw the door to the bakery had been broken down and I heard crying come from inside the house. I was too late to save him...

"Mr.Tomlinson?" I asked quietly, stepping over the broken door. The bakery at this hour normally smells of baked goods and is warm, but today the warmth was taken out of the building.