Chapter Four

"I want the priest dead. I'm going to kill the priest." I overheard Thomas talking to Polly. I was standing right outside the doorway, knowing the two brothers were going to sneak up on me. I could hear their footsteps.

"I'm not doing this, Tommy." Polly slid her chair out from the table and walked out of the room, giving me just enough time to slip out of her sight as she passed me in the hallway. My heart wasn't beating as fast as it usually was, I wasn't scared of this house anymore. I've been here for weeks. It's absolutely delightful.

"It's not wise to listen in on Tommy's conversations, Ms. Cruz." Arthur came down the steps and faced me.

"It's not wise if I tell anybody." I looked at him, smelling like alcohol and drooping clothes. "You've all got my word that i don't share any business with anybody." I gave him a small grin and he gave me a light pat on the shoulder.

"Im fucking with you, kid." he pulled me out to the hallway and into Thomas's office, then shut the door behind him. Why does he always put me in awkward ass situations?

"Sit down." He told me sternly. I lazily walked over to the chair and sat down, looking at the middle Shelby with crossed legs. He sat down also, putting a cigarette between his lips. "I want you to stop listening in on conversations. Those aren't fucking for you." He told me. I rolled my eyes.

"It's what I do." I said calmly.

"It's not what you do here. You work for me. You do as I say or you're gone." He told me. Naturally, I got up and headed for the door, seeming as though I don't work for him anymore. That pissed him off. "Jesus Christ, Octavia. Sit down!" he demanded once again, making me grin to myself. The control and manipulation i had over him was unreal. He needed me, i didn't need him.

"May i remind you that we work on my terms and my hours?" I asked. He clenched his jaw out of annoyance. "I don't have to be here, Shelby." I deadpanned against him. He looked down, took a few deep breaths and looked at me again.

"Tatiana has invited me for dinner. I'm there to explain the details of our business," he exhaled smoke. "I would like you to be there. With me." That made me roll my eyes.

"Why not your brothers?" I asked.

"It'll look threatening," he replied.

"Why me?" I asked. I really did not want to face a fucking lunatic right now.

"I dont have to fucking answer that." he shot right back at me.

"Then I'm not going. Find another date." I got up and started towards the door again. This time he followed me and turned me around to face him.

"Youre not a fucking date, youre just going to be there with me, youre not going to say anything. It'll just be you gathering a place to shoot him dead. I'm not going alone." He took his hands off my shoulders and stood up straight.

"Say please." I taunted him more. He gave me a 'fuck you' look.

"Please." i nodded. "Polly will dress you in something more..." he looked me up and down. "Feminine and English. Try and master the accent would you, i don't want you giving yourself away." he opened the door and took my to Polly who was working in her office.

"Pol, could you get her dressed for dinner tonight?" he asked, she nodded and closed her door with a smile.

"Octavia, do you know what size you are?" she asked, going through a closet.

"No ma'am." I replied, walking into the room further.

"Call me Polly or Mrs. Gray, dear. You and Tommy work together, I think it's okay if you get to know his family a bit." She said, pulling out a few dresses. One was a nice cream color that I thought I'd look good in.