Chapter Thirteen

"Octavia." I sat up immediately, looking at him. "Michael's been shot. Stay here with Charlie." he said, buttoning his shirt.

"What about John?" I asked, slipping on my shirt. He sighed, dropping his hands to his pockets.

"Dead," he said, pausing for a moment. "Please just stay here and keep him safe." he said, walking out the door and into the street. I laced up my boots and put my vest on, then walked to Charlie's room where he was already wide awake.

I smiled, walking over to him and sitting on the edge of his bed.

"What are you doing up so early?" I asked, trying to put a good act on.

"Is Uncle John dead?" he asked, tears brimming the small boy's eyes. My face fell as I brought him in for a hug, laying down on the small bed. He started crying, his tears falling on my shoulder.

"Charlie, your dad and I have very bad enemies. Sometimes things like this can happen." I told him calmly as he cried. "Someday you'll understand what law is and why you should follow it. Your dad and I aren't very good at it, so bad things happen to other people." I carried on.

"Like what happened to Grace?" he blubbered out. My eyebrows furrowed.

"I didn't know your mother very well, Charlie. I cant tell you what happened, i dont know." I said softly. He nodded.

"I think youre my real momma, Tavi." he mumbled to my side. The tears fell down the sides of my face at the same time. "You would never leave me."

***

Thomas came through the doors a couple hours later, seeing his son safe and me writing down everything I knew about Changretta. I was already on the backside of the paper.

"He knows John is dead, he heard you talking about it." I got up and folded the paper in half, then in half again before handing it to him. "If you don't mind, i'd like to make sure my brother isn't hurt." I said while grabbing my overcoat and fedora.

Once I entered my house, a gun was pointed at me. Elio immediately got up and hugged me, breathing heavily into my shoulder.

"Where the fuck were you?" Odessa asked. I rolled my eyes.

"Thomas Shelby's." i replied, taking my overcoat off.

"Yeah, your always with Thomas fucking Shelby. Its Christmas fucking day and your with Thomas Shelby." Odessa said, taking out a cigarette.

"Dessa," Elio went over to her, trying to calm her down.

"No, Elio. She is the fucking reason why we have to live here with guns under our pillows. She has protection, we fucking dont." Odessa pointed at me. "Whats going to happen when a fucking drive-by happens? She broke the fucking phone, so we cant call her!" Odessa yelled.

"Elio come here." i told my brother, walking into my room. He followed me, so did Odessa. I didn't really care. She didnt mean anything to me at the moment.

"Are you in contact with Luca Changretta?" i asked, sitting on my bed while he sat on the chair.

"You told me to cut the partnership," he said.

"Did you?" I asked, starting to undo my vest.

"I've been hearing things here and there, but i haven't done any business with them." He said. I nodded.

"That is what youre fucking worried about?" Odessa asked me. "Your worried about your fucking business when were in danger." she scoffed out. I got real close to her face, crouching down so I had eye contact with her.