Chapter Eight

I buttoned the last button of my vest and slid my overcoat on. I think the pinstripes went well with the white shirt. I laced up my boots and pulled my slacks over them, hiding the laces. My hair was in a high bun and slicked down with water and gel, making it tight. My guns were in their holsters, and I was ready to go to the opening of the Shelby Institute for Orphaned Children.

I walked in, spotting the Shelby Family and sitting down beside Charlie. I've always liked small children. Seeing them smile and giggle brought me joy. "Hi Charlie," I lightly caressed his cheek with my index finger. He giggled and held my finger with his hand, making my smile bigger. Out of the corner of my eye, I swear I saw Thomas Shelby's genuine smile.

"Welcome to the opening of The Shelby Institute for the uninsured children of the poor," Polly started out her speech, catching all of our attention. She mentioned Thomas, he stood up and took his fame. He has such a pretty smile. Somebody with that smile shouldn't live such a shitty life.

"I didn't come here to make a speech, but I will say this." He started out, looking at me, then the crowd. "These children are now safe. In our care, they will be safe, because we are from the same cold streets they are. And in our care, they won't be shipped away to the colonies, or separated from kin," he made eye contact with me again, then looked back at the crowd. "Or made to work for men in various ways. They will grow old here, at home. Loved in Birmingham. Because this is our city." He finished his speech.

"By order of the Peaky Blinders." Arthur boomed out, making me turn my head towards him. People started clapping and I got up from my spot, not wanting to stay for the singing. I was beginning to leave, but stopped when I saw a portrait of Grace Shelby. Curiosity took over me, walking towards the portrait and admiring it. She was absolutely gorgeous. Her features were perfect.

"Don't like singing aye?" Thomas came up beside me, looking at the portrait of his deceased wife. I leaned against the wall, keeping my eyes on the picture. She looked like my mother in a lot of ways: Blonde, thin, smart eyes. I had almost white hair like my father and bigger lips than my mother. I also had straighter shoulders than my mother. I thought I was prettier than her.

"She was beautiful," I told him, breaking my gaze.

"She was." he put his hands in his pockets, standing closer to me. We stayed there a couple seconds until the door opened, revealing Satan himself.

"My absence of my invitation for this event was obviously an oversight on your part, Mr. Shelby." The priest stood beside us, but not looking at the portrait. "But look, I have the keys. I have allocated myself an office." I scoffed and shook my head at that, facing him while Thomas stood staring at the picture of his wife in the middle.

"Thats fucking sad," I walked past the priest, hitting his shoulder as I did. He was walking with a cane now since his one knee had failed him. His hand had a bullet scar from when I shot his hand. I stood on the other side of the doors, listening in on the conversation.

"For the next 24 hours, you will do as instructed. Do not deviate, you'll not fail." He told Thomas. My eyebrows furrowed as I heard the priest walk back to the doors, catching sight of me. He smiled at my frown. "You still have hatred in your eyes. The lord can fix it." he winked at me. Little kids followed him out the doors, making me scoff once again. What a fucking prick.

In the corner of the room I could see every movement of the room. I saw the three brothers talking in a triangle, Ada making conversation and Polly smoking. A group of women approach Thomas, basically gagging over him. Charlie was in his arms as the women gave him gifts, a horse. They asked for a picture, which Thomas obviously said yes too. He handed Charlie off to one of his maids, taking the picture. What was odd was the maid walking away so quickly. Why didn't she just stay there?

EAGLE EYES // Thomas ShelbyOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara